The best Healthy Broccoli Salad Recipe! Made with no mayo, this easy side dish is super healthy and quick to make. Perfect for a picnic!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
No picnic is complete without the side dishes and broccoli salad is the perfect recipe to go alongside any meal!
Made with no mayo, this easy side dish is low fat, low carb and DELICIOUS!
This truly is the best broccoli salad recipe. It’s made with only 10 ingredients, it’s so simple to make, and it tastes amazing!
Why this is the Best Broccoli Salad Recipe
This broccoli salad recipe is better than any other broccoli salad for so many reasons. Many broccoli salad recipes are loaded with fat and sugar, but this recipe isn’t!
- Veggie Loaded – There are 6 cups of broccoli in this healthy broccoli salad, making it the perfect healthy side dish.
- Low Fat – This healthy broccoli salad is made with no mayo. Instead we use non fat greek yogurt to make this salad creamy and flavorful while keeping it low fat.
- Low Sugar – Some broccoli salad recipes have up to a cup of sugar in them. This recipe uses a little bit of honey for sweetness but it has zero refined sugar.
- Easy to make – This is a super easy broccoli salad recipe that takes less than 15 minutes to put together.
Healthy Broccoli Salad Recipe Ingredients
To make healthy broccoli salad here is what you’ll need:
- red onion
- cheddar cheese
- sunflower seeds
- greek yogurt
- salt, garlic powder, pepper
- whole grain mustard
How To Prepare Broccoli Salad
This broccoli salad is super easy to make. Here’s how to make it:
- Chop your broccoli and onion finely
- In a large bowl mix together your dressing.
- Add your broccoli, onion, bacon, cheese, and sunflower
- Stir until combined & enjoy!
This recipe is super creamy and delicious while having absolutely no mayo! You won’t even miss the mayo!
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR HEALTHY BROCCOLI SALAD
Red Onion: We have only tested this recipe with red onion. White onion might work, but we can’t be sure without testing it. It might be a little to strong. You can omit the red onion and add in 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder instead of red onion.
Bacon: You can use regular bacon or turkey bacon. You can omit bacon to make this recipe vegetarian.
Cheese: Cheese is optional. Colby Jack or pepper jack would be good in this recipe, or you can omit cheese. We recommend buying a block of cheese and grating it yourself.
Sunflower Seeds: Sunflower seeds can be subbed with shaved almonds, chopped pecans, or pine nuts.
Non Fat Greek Yogurt: We have only tested this recipe with nonfat greek yogurt, but I think it would work with dairy free yogurt or regular yogurt.
Mustard: Any mustard will work in this recipe. We used whole grain mustard, but a dijon will also work or even yellow mustard.
Other Add Ins: Craisins, Raisins, Chickpeas or Nuts would all be great additions to this recipe!
Weight Watchers Note: Most of the points in this recipe come from the bacon. Points are only an estimate – calculate the points based on the ingredients that you use.
Should I Blanch Broccoli For Broccoli Salad?
You don’t have to blanch broccoli for broccoli salad.
I prefer making broccoli salad with raw broccoli. It comes out much crispier. When you blanch the broccoli I find that it gets soggy quicker.
If you do blanch the broccoli – don’t blanch it for more than 1-2 minutes.
How Long Can You Keep Broccoli Salad In The Fridge?
Broccoli Salad is best eaten fresh right after you make it.
Refrigerator: Broccoli salad can stay in the fridge for up to 3 days. After that it will start to get a bit soggy and the broccoli will not be as crisp.
Frozen: Do not freeze broccoli salad. It will not be good
Broccoli Salad FAQ
No, broccoli salad will not freeze well. Broccoli salad is best when eaten fresh, but will last in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Broccoli is loaded with nutrients. It’s high in fiber, iron, calcium and potassium. This broccoli salad is low carb, low fat and healthy compared to other broccoli salad recipes.
Broccoli Salad Healthy Serving Suggestions
This broccoli salad is so yummy – it goes with virtually everything. Here are some recipes we’d recommend serving it with:
- Healthy Pulled Pork
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- Garlic Lime Flank Steak
- Grilled Vegetables in Foil
- Easy Farro Salad
- Traditional Greek Salad
Healthy Recipe for Broccoli Salad
- Chop your broccoli and onion finely. Set aside
- In a large bowl mix together your dressing.
- Add your broccoli, onion, bacon, cheese, and sunflower seeds.
- Stir until everything is evenly coated & enjoy!