Crispy Smashed Potatoes are the perfect side dish to any dinner. Paleo, vegan + Whole30 friendly – these easy smashed potatoes are simply delicious. Crispy on the outside + soft on the inside, everyone at your table will love these!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in May of 2018 but has since been updated.
I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like (true story).
However, one of our all time favorite ways to cook potatoes are these crispy smashed potatoes.
These potatoes are boiled to creamy perfection, than smashed, drizzled with an herby mixture and baked until perfectly crispy. SO. GOOD.
If you’re looking for a fun new side dish to make with dinner – look no further. These potatoes are paleo, Whole30 and vegan – perfect for any diet!
Ingredients for Crispy Smashed Potatoes:
To make crispy smashed potatoes you’ll need baby potatoes (we like dutch, but red will work too!), olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. If you don’t like rosemary – I’ve included substitutions below.
How to make Easy Smashed Potatoes:
These crispy smashed potatoes really couldn’t be easier to make. First, bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook potatoes until they are fork tender, about 20-25 minutes.
While the potatoes are cooking, mix together your olive oil/spice mixture. Once potatoes are boiled, place them on a baking sheet. Press down with a fork until they burst/are flat. If you’re struggling to do this with a fork you can do it with a glass or dish too!
Brush with olive oil/herb mixture and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the potatoes edges have browned.
When they come out of the oven, they should look like this! Brown and crispy on the edges, perfectly cooked!
Substitutions for crispy smashed potatoes:
There are a few substitutions for these smashed potatoes
- Oil – You can use avocado oil or coconut oil in place of olive oil. We love this garlic infused coconut oil.
- Herbs – If you don’t love rosemary, you can try thyme or parsley in place of this. I wouldn’t recommend using dried rosemary only because it can be very dry, and the pieces of rosemary are almost a bit sharp when you bake them!
- Potatoes – I recommend using dutch yellow baby potatoes, but you can use baby red potatoes or any other smaller variety of potato like a fingerling. Russet and sweet potatoes will not really work for this, you need to use a smaller potato.
- Smashed potatoes with cheese – These are delicious with a little bit of parmesan cheese on top! They’d even be yummy with some cheddar!
- Garlic – Garlic smashed potatoes are delicious too! Add 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic to your herb/olive oil mixture for even more flavor!
- Other toppings– Bacon, pancetta, or chives would all be delicious on these potatoes!
- Peeled potatoes – I like to leave the skin on the potatoes before baking them, but if you prefer to peel them you can!
I love these Crispy Rosemary Smashed Potatoes because they go with literally anything. I like these with our Pecan Crusted Chicken Cutlets and Healthy Green Beans Almondine but here are a few more ideas.
Recipes to serve these crispy potatoes with:
These smashed potatoes go well with everything, but here are a few ideas for how to serve them.
Honestly though, I could eat them straight off the cookie sheet with nothing else. (And I totally did riiiight after getting these photos… no shame in my game!)
Storing/Prepping Smashed Potatoes:
Storing – I would recommend storing these smashed potatoes in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Reheating – You can reheat these potatoes in the toaster oven, microwave, or oven. A few minutes should help them crisp right back up!
Freezing – I would not recommend freezing these potatoes. Potatoes don’t freeze very well and can tend to get mealy.
Other healthy potato recipes:
We love cooking with potatoes- they make a great healthy side dish! Here are some of our favorite healthy potato recipes.
- Healthy Potato Soup
- Sheet Pan Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Garlic Thyme Crispy Sweet Potatoes
- Crispy Dijon Roasted Potatoes
- Mexican Potatoes
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and prepare a parchment lined baking sheet
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add potatoes into boiling potatoes and boil for 20-25 minutes until fork tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a bowl, whisk together salt, pepper and fresh rosemary.
- Once potatoes are cooked - drain the potatoes and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Press the potatoes with a masher or a fork until they are flatter/burst. Brush the olive oil/spice mixture over the potatoes.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes and then broil for 2-3 minutes to get that super crispy outside.
Did you know I have a FREE 7 Day Whole30 Meal Plan? Click here for the details!