Asian Salmon is an easy dinner that you can make in the oven or on the grill. Healthy, whole30, paleo and done in under 30 minutes!
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
This asian salmon is going to be your new favorite weeknight dinner! It’s perfect for grilling or baking in the oven – whatever you prefer.
Loaded with flavor while still being totally healthy, paleo, gluten free and Whole30!
Can I let you in on a little secret? I hate fish. There, I said it.
I wish I didn’t – but I do. I don’t eat seafood of any form, which is why this is the FIRST ever seafood recipe on my site (crazy, I know!)
Don’t worry though, – tested this marinade multiple times on chicken, and had taste testers/help in the kitchen to ensure it was delicious on salmon. They also gave me the low down on the best way to cook salmon – so I’m sharing a few methods with you below.
Things you’ll need to make Asian Salmon:
If you’re not doing a whole30 a little bit of honey would also be delicious in the marinade.
How to make Asian Salmon:
To make Asian Salmon simply whisk together your marinade, pour it over the salmon + let it sit for at least 10 minutes.
When you’re ready to cook your salmon you can grill it on a grill mat, or wrap it in foil to cook on either the grill or in the oven!
Can you cook the whole salmon filet?
Sure, you can follow this recipe and use a whole salmon filet. If the salmon is thicker you might need a little bit more cooking time.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Coconut aminos – if you don’t have coconut aminos you can sub in soy sauce or liquid aminos, but the recipe will no longer be whole30/paleo
- Ginger – if you don’t have fresh ginger you can sub 1/2 tbsp fresh grated ginger with 1/2 teaspoon dried ground ginger
- Spicier – Feel free to add a little sriracha if you like some heat!
- Honey – You can add 1 tablespoon of honey to the marinade to enhance the flavor of it if you are not paleo/whole30
Tyler devoured this salad shortly after I took the photos. He made a toasted sesame oil vinaigrette to go on the salad that was SO delicious!
What to serve with asian salmon:
- White Rice/Cauliflower Rice
- A salad – I paired it with spring mix, chopped cashews, cucumbers, carrots and sesame seeds
- Vegetable Kebabs
- Sheet Pan Crispy Roasted Potatoes
Tip for grilling salmon:
Grilling salmon can be tough because the skin tends to stick to the grill, especially if you have a marinade on it. If you struggle with cooking salmon on the grill these grill mats are an option that make it easier to prevent the salmon from sticking. They also make clean up a breeze.
I don’t like using these mats often because they are non stick, but we use them on occasion.
And there you have it! The easiest (and tastiest!) Asian Salmon. Whether you grill it or bake it in the oven, you’re sure to enjoy it no matter what!
Other healthy grilling recipes:
- 2 tablespoons Green onions
- 2 tablespoons Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven or grill to 375.
- Whisk together marinade.
- Lay salmon in baking dish and pour marinade over it. Allow salmon to marinate for at least 10 minutes. 1-2 hours is best.
- Lay salmon on grilling mat or wrap in a piece of aluminum foil. Cook for 15 minutes. Do not flip! You can test to see if the salmon is done by seeing if it flakes with a fork.
- Serve over rice, a salad, or with veggies.