An Easy One Pot French Onion Pasta that is so delicious! This Onion Pasta recipe is rich, flavorful and quick to make!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
One pot meals are some of our favorites for busy weeknights because they make clean up so easy, but can still be so nutritious and delicious, like our Chicken Parmesan Pasta!
This dinner has the classic flavors of Caramelized Onions, French Onion Dip, and French Onion Soup with comforting pasta and rich parmesan cheese.
We know you are going to love this One Pot French Onion Pasta as much as we do!
You’ll Love this Caramelized Onion Pasta Recipe
There is a lot to love about this recipe. It’s one of our favorite healthy dinners because it’s:
- Budget-friendly: This caramelized onion pasta is an affordable dinner, using pantry staples you probably already have.
- High Protein: Packed with protein, each serving of this pasta has 22 grams.
- Made in one pot: This means fewer dishes at the end of dinner, which everyone loves!
French Onion Pasta Ingredients
Ingredients for one pot french onion pasta:
- olive oil
- garlic, onions, mushrooms
- white wine
- dried thyme, dried parsley, dried oregano, salt, black pepper
- chicken broth
- orecchiette pasta
- parmesan cheese
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How To Make French Onion Soup Pasta
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add minced garlic and onions. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, occasionally stir. Add wine and mushrooms. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add spices, pasta, and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- When pasta is finished cooking, stir in parmesan cheese. Tip – use fresh grated parmesan cheese for a super creamy sauce!
- Top with fresh parsley and black pepper if you’d like, serve warm, & enjoy!
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR CARAMELIZED ONION PASTA:
Olive Oil: You can substitute avocado oil, butter, or ghee.
White Wine: Apple cider vinegar or lemon juice would work instead of wine in this recipe. It adds an acidic flavor to give this recipe a kick.
Broth: Any broth or stock (broth and stock are the same) can be used in any soup recipe. Beef Broth, Chicken Broth, or vegetable broth all work interchangeably. I always use low or no salt broth.
Orecchiette Pasta: Shells, penne, orzo, or any pasta would work in this recipe.
What to Serve with Onion Pasta
This pasta is delicious on its own or paired with our Lemon Garlic Chicken Dinner or Chicken Marsala for some added protein and veggies.
It would also be delicious with a Caesar Salad or a Kale Salad!
French Onion Pasta FAQ
Yes, raw onions will cook once added to the pasta, and add lots of flavors.
You would add flour to French onion soup to help thicken it. This recipe doesn’t need flour.
Adding salt to caramelized onions will help the onions soften. There’s no need to add sugar to deeply caramelized onions, they’ll get sweeter on their own.
How To Store Pasta With Onion
Storing: This will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container
Freezing: You can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. We like these molds for freezing – code CLEANEATINGCOUPLE works to save $$ on our favorite silicone molds!
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave or on the stove.
Other one-pot pasta recipes:
Looking for other absolutely delicious recipes? Check out these Healthy Pasta Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
French Onion Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 4 cups of onions diced
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups orecchiette pasta 12 oz
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add minced garlic and onions. Cover and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should start to soften and brown.
- After 15 minutes, add white wine and mushrooms. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Add spices, pasta and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- When pasta is finished cooking, stir in parmesan cheese. Tip – use freshly grated parmesan cheese for a super creamy sauce!
- Top with fresh parsley and black pepper if you’d like & enjoy!
Leave a Review