The Best Chicken Marsala Recipe! This easy chicken marsala is healthy, delicious and simple to make – the perfect weeknight dinner!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
If you’ve never had Marsala Chicken before, it is a super rich and flavorful dish that is perfect for any special occasion but is also simple enough to make for a weeknight dinner!
Pair the super tender chicken and mushroom sauce with extra veggies for an even more nutritious and comforting dinner!
What is Chicken Marsala?
There is a lot to love about this Chicken Marsala recipe. It’s one of our favorite proteins for a healthy dinner because it’s:
- Easy to make – This recipe tastes so impressive, but it is relatively easy to make and only takes 40 minutes to cook!
- Lots of flavor – The sauce in this dish is so rich and flavorful. You won’t be able to get enough!
What does Marsala taste like? Like other wines, different marsala wine brands can have slightly different flavors, but they will typically add a rich depth and earthiness to your dishes. You will just want to select a dry marsala wine for this recipe.
Marsala Chicken Ingredients
To make this marsala chicken you will need:
- chicken breasts
- all purpose flour
- salt, pepper
- olive oil
- garlic, onion
- marsala wine
- chicken broth
- fresh parsley
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Marsala
- Mix together flour, salt & pepper. Coat the pounded chicken breasts in the flour mixture.
- In a large pan on the stove, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sear the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side until golden brown. Once browned, place the chicken in a greased baking dish, cover, and put in a 300° oven to keep warm.
- In the same pot you sautéd the chicken, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat. Add garlic, onion, and mushrooms. Saute for 7-10 minutes until softened. Add the marsala wine & chicken broth, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- When the mushrooms are softened, remove the chicken from the oven and pour the broth mixture on top. Top with fresh parsley & enjoy.
Marsala Chicken Recipe Swaps
Chicken Breasts: You can substitute with boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
Flour: I haven’t tried this with any other flour. Gluten free flour might work, but almond or coconut flour definitely will not work
Marsala Wine: This is the marsala wine we recommend. If you can’t find it you can use regular white wine or cooking wine but it will not taste the same. Most grocery stores carry marsala wine and you can find it in the olive oil/vinegar aisle.
Best Chicken Marsala Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Don’t skip butterflying and pounding the chicken breasts. Using a sharp knife, slice the chicken breasts lengthwise down the center to create two thinly sliced breasts. Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breasts for a few seconds. This helps you have the most tender chicken!
- Use homemade Chicken Broth for the most flavorful sauce!
What to Serve with Chicken Marsala and Mushrooms
We love to pair this chicken marsala with:
- rice, cavatelli pasta, or risotto
- Healthy Mashed Potatoes
- Crispy Potatoes
- Roasted Asparagus or Green Beans Almondine
FAQs for Healthy Chicken Marsala
Marsala refers to the marsala wine in the chicken marsala sauce.
Some of the alcohol will get cooked off when the sauce simmers.
The sauce will thicken a little, but it won’t be a super thick sauce.
You will want to use a dry marsala wine for Chicken Marsala.
This is the marsala wine we recommend.
Storing this Recipe for Chicken Marsala
Storing: This will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: You can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. We like these containers for freezing !
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave, toaster oven, oven, or on the stove.
More Recipes You’ll Enjoy
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Healthy Chicken Marsala
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts butterflied and pounded thin
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- ½ cup onion diced finely
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup marsala wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Prepare a greased 9×13 glass baking dish and preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large pan on the stove, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sear the chicken for 6-7 minutes per side until golden brown. Once browned, place the chicken in the glass baking dish, cover, and put in the oven to keep warm.
- In the same pot you sautéd the chicken, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat. Add garlic, onion and mushrooms. Saute for 7-10 minutes until softened. Add the marsala wine & chicken broth, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- When the mushrooms are softened, remove the chicken from the oven and pour the broth/mushroom mixture on top of the chicken. You can bake in the oven for a few more minutes, or serve immediately. Top with fresh parsley & enjoy.