An Easy Chicken Cacciatore Recipe everyone will love! This delicious recipe for chicken cacciatore is made on the stove in under an hour!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
Best Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
If you’re looking for a hearty and flavorful Italian dish that’s both easy to make and healthy, look no further than this Chicken Cacciatore recipe.
This recipe features super tender chicken simmered with lots of veggies in a rich tomato sauce, infused with fragrant herbs.
Not only is this a delicious comfort food, but it’s also packed with protein (48g per serving) and nutrients thanks to all the vegetables.
A Healthy Recipe for Chicken Cacciatore
Being Italian I HAD to find a way to make this classic Italian recipe healthy. This lightened-up version is loaded with flavor and PACKED with protein. It has become one of our dinner staples!
What is Chicken Cacciatore?
- Chicken Cacciatore is a simple, classic Italian dish. Cacciatore means “hunter” and this dish usually refers to as a “hunter-style” dish.
Is Chicken Cacciatore healthy?
- Our Chicken Cacciatore is healthy! Each serving has 555 calories and is LOADED with 48 grams of protein.
Chicken Cacciatore Easy ingredients
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- onion, garlic
- mushrooms, bell peppers
- red wine
- crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- dried thyme, dried rosemary, dried oregano, salt, pepper
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
We love this meat thermometer for checking the temp to make sure your meat is cooked thoroughly!
How to make Chicken Cacciatore
- Sear seasoned and pounded chicken breasts in olive oil for 6-7 minutes. Flip and sear for an additional 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms and spices to the pan. Stir together and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add red wine and peppers. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and crushed tomatoes. Stir to combine. Add cooked chicken back to the pot. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low to medium heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the chicken cooks, boil water for your pasta. Drain the pasta well and add to the pot. Stir together with sauce/chicken & enjoy!
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR BEST CHICKEN CACCIATORE
Chicken Breasts: You can substitute with boneless chicken thighs or chicken tenders.
Red Wine: You can use additional broth instead of red wine in this recipe. Beef broth would be the most flavorful substitute.
Crushed tomatoes: Fresh tomatoes, diced, or marinara sauce would work in this recipe.
Veggies: Feel free to add more vegetables to this recipe. Zucchini, eggplant, or spinach would be great additions
What to serve with Chicken Cacciatore
- Crispy Roasted Potatoes in Oven
- Apple Cranberry Walnut Salad
- Healthy Lemon Basil Risotto
- Vegetable Pasta Primavera
Storing and Reheating this Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Storing: This will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container
Freezing: You can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. We like these containers for freezing.
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave or on the stove.
Chicken Cacciatore Traditional FAQs
Cacciatore means “hunter” and this dish is commonly refered to as a “hunter-style” dish.
Red wine is the best choice for chicken cacciatore.
Other healthy dinner recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Easy Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 3 chicken breasts
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cup onion 1 medium onion diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic 3 cloves roughly chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups sliced bell peppers cut in strips
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ cup crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
- ⅛ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ lb dry fettuccine pasta
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil.
- Once the oil in the pan is hot, sear the chicken for 6-7 minutes. Flip and sear for an additional 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Once onions and garlic have cooked, add mushrooms and spices to the pan. Stir together and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the mushrooms start to soften.
- Add cooked chicken back to the pot. Stir to combine, cover and cook on low to medium heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the chicken cooks, boil water for your pasta according to directions.
- Drain the pasta well and add to the pot. Stir together with sauce/chicken & enjoy!