A Sausage and Peppers Pasta Recipe everyone will love! This is an easy and delicious dinner anyone can make! Healthy, hearty and filling!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
This Sausage and Peppers Pasta Recipe is quick and easy!
This one pan sausage and peppers pasta is perfect for busy weeknights when you want something quick and easy, but still flavorful and nutritious!
With only 8 ingredients and spices, in 30 minutes you can have a delicious dinner on the table!
Why we love this Italian Sausage and Peppers Pasta
There is a lot to love about this recipe. It’s one of our favorite quick and healthy dinners because it’s:
- High Protein: Packed with protein, each serving of this recipe has 38 grams.
- Simple Ingredients: You only need whole, healthy ingredients for this decadent dinner.
- Easy to make: Cook your sausage, cut your peppers, and toss in your pasta! It’s so easy and takes less than 30 minutes to throw together!
Peppers and Sausage Pasta Ingredients
Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- ground sausage – we buy ours locally. Look for sausage with no added fillers, in a casing. Whole foods has a good option!
- olive oil, butter
- onion, garlic
- red pepper, salt, pepper
- red bell peppers
- dry pasta
- parmesan cheese
It will also be helpful to have this tool to break apart meat.
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to make Sausage and Peppers with Pasta
- Add ground sausage to a hot pan with oil. Brown for 8-10 minutes until cooked. We like this tool to break apart ground meat. Once browned, remove the sausage from the pan and place it in a paper towel-lined bowl leaving a small amount of oil in the pan.
- Sauté onions and spices for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add peppers and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in cooked sausage with the peppers. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and remove the pan from heat. Stir in cooked, drained pasta and 1/3 cup pasta water for 2-3 minutes or until coated.
Sausage and Peppers Over Pasta substitutions and additions
Ground Sausage: We don’t recommend substituting the sausage. You can use chicken sausage or pork sausage, but make sure it is ground sausage!
Peppers: You can use red, orange, or yellow bell peppers in this recipe.
Pasta: This recipe is good with most pastas but our favorite is rigatoni, fusili, or cavatelli.
How to serve this Sausage and Peppers Pasta Recipe
Sausage Pasta is a complete meal in itself and it really doesn’t need anything to go with it. However, if you’re looking for ideas on how to serve it try:
- fresh bread
- a Caesar Salad or a Kale Salad!
- with a side of veggies like Brussels Sprouts or Asparagus
How to store Pasta with Sausage and Peppers
Storing: This will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing this pasta. Pasta can get very soggy when frozen.
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave or on the stove. It’s best heated on the stove in a lightly greased pan.
Pasta with Sausage and Peppers FAQs
Yes! Sausage and Peppers is a classic Italian food.
Sausage and peppers pasta is good for 3-4 days when stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
The flavors in this sausage pasta recipe comes from the peppers and spices!
Sausage Peppers and Onions Pasta
- 1 pound ground sausage or taken out of casings 4-6 sausages depending on size
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic 2 garlic cloves
- 3 cups diced red bell peppers 3 medium red peppers – 3/4 pound
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound dry pasta of your choice rigatoni, cavatelli, etc
- 1/3 cup pasta water
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high heat. Preheat the pan for at least 2 minutes, then add olive oil and heat for an additional minute.
- Remove sausage from the casing. Add ground sausage to the hot pan. Brown for 8-10 minutes until cooked.
- Once the sausage is browned, remove sausage from the pan and place in a paper towel lined bowl. This helps drain the excess oil from the sausage. You can leave a small amount of oil in the pan (about 1 teaspoon and the extra brown bits stuck to the pan..no need to wash it!)
- Add onions, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to the pan. Sauté for 3 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- While onions cook, start a pot of boiling water for the pasta. Boil pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking – reserve 1/3 cup of the starchy water from the pot!
- Once onions are translucent, add garlic to the pan and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Once garlic has cooked, add peppers to the pan and cook for 3 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add your cooked sausage back to the pot with the peppers. Stir together over low heat. Add 1 tablespoon of butter and remove the pan from heat.
- Add your cooked, drained pasta and reserved pasta water to the sausage/pepper mixture. Stir together for 2-3 minutes or until a sauce coats all of the ingredients nicely.
- Season generously with parmesan cheese and enjoy!