Paleo Beef Stew is an easy, healthy dinner that your whole family will love! Gluten free, whole30 friendly + made in the slow cooker or on the stove!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in January of 2017.
This Paleo Beef Stew will quickly become one of your favorite meals. 12 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of prep time are ALL you need to make this happen for dinner tonight.
And a slow cooker of course, which is probably my FAVORITE kitchen appliance.
This beef stew is super hearty and cozy – but it takes SUCH minimal work – which is part of the reason why I love it.
(We eat LOTS of hearty soups and stews in our house. This Ground Beef and Sweet Potato Chili Is another one of our favs!
I love any kind of recipe that is a ‘dump and bake’ sort of situation, which this healthy beef stew totally is.
That’s why I LOVE my crockpot so much. I can throw all the goods in there, turn it on as I walk out the door, and then when I come home… dinner is magically cooked! Amazing, right?
I make pretty much anything/everything in the crockpot… soups, shredded chicken, paleo turkey chili.. This beef stew recipe is one of those recipes where you just throw a few ingredients in the crock pot, set it, wait a little bit + then get something totally delicious!
Ingredients for Paleo Beef Stew:
Now I know what you’re thinking – ok… that’s it? YES, that’s literally all you need to make the best ever beef stew… and let me show you JUST how simple it is to make!
How to make Paleo Beef Stew:
I think this honestly might be the easier recipe I’ve ever really shared… but let me break it down for ya.
Step 1: Add all ingredients to crockpot.
Step 2: Stir all ingredients to evenly coat. Cook on low.
Step 3: Devour
Your whole house is going to smell SO incredible after having this cook all day in the crockpot – get excited!
In addition to being delicious – this stew is Whole30 friendly, dairy free, gluten free and paleo – so pretty much anyone can enjoy it!
Can you thicken this stew?
This stew gets pretty thick naturally, but if you prefer you can add corn starch or arrowroot powder. Mix one tablespoon of either corn starch or arrowroot powder with one tablespoon of water.
Stir in the slurry to the stew during the last 30 minutes while it’s cooking and allow it to thicken.
Substitutions for this recipe:
This recipe is pretty versatile and you can easily adjust it to your own tastes.
- Potatoes – You can sub in russet potatoes or red potatoes for this recipe. I have not tried sweet potatoes in this recipe, but I think they would become too mushy
- Tomato Paste – You can make this without the tomato paste. It just helps the stew thicken + adds a little flavor
- Meat – You can substitute beef with boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you do not eat red meat. We also have a Slow Cooker Chicken Stew recipe if you’d prefer that!
- Wine – A 1/3 cup of red wine adds a nice depth of flavor to this recipe – although it’s totally not necessary. If you are doing a Whole30 do not add wine.
- Rosemary – If you don’t have fresh rosemary you can substitute the same amount of dried rosemary. You can also omit rosemary if you don’t like it, but I think it adds such a nice flavor!
How to store beef stew:
This stew will store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. This stew freezes very well. Allow stew to completely cool. Place in containers (these are my favorite containers) + pop in the freezer. When you’re ready to eat, simply take out the night before to defrost, or just pop them in the microwave and heat.
I hope you love this paleo beef stew as much as we do!
Other healthy slow cooker recipes:
- Healthy Crockpot Tomato Sauce
- Healthy Crockpot Artichokes
- Crockpot Bone Broth
- Healthy Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Healthy Crockpot Pulled Pork
- 28 Delicious Paleo Crockpot Recipes
Paleo Beef Stew
- 1 lbs stew meat
- 2 cups carrots cut in 1/2 inch thick circles
- 1 1/2 cups celery thinly sliced, 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 8 oz mini potatoes halved
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and brown stew meat + onions. This step is not necessary, but will add an extra layer of flavor.
- Cut all vegetables/potatoes.
- Add the stew meat, carrots, celery, onion + potatoes to the crock pot + stir to combine
- Add broth, tomato paste + spices to the crock pot. Stir to evenly distribute seasoning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve + enjoy!
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and brown stew meat + onions. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- While meat/onions brown, cut all other vegetables/potatoes.
- After the meat has browned. Add the carrots, celery + potatoes to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Add broth, tomato paste + spices to the pot. Stir to evenly distribute seasoning.
- Cook on high for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and allow stew to simmer for additional 30 minutes
- Potatoes - You can sub in russet potatoes or red potatoes for this recipe. I have not tried sweet potatoes in this recipe, but I think they would become too mushy
- Tomato Paste - You can make this without the tomato paste. It just helps the stew thicken + adds a little flavor
- Meat - You can substitute beef with boneless, skinless chicken breasts if you do not eat red meat. We also have a Slow Cooker Chicken Stew recipe if you'd prefer that!
- Wine - A 1/3 cup of red wine adds a nice depth of flavor to this recipe - although it's totally not necessary. If you are doing a Whole30 do not add wine.
- Rosemary - If you don't have fresh rosemary you can substitute the same amount of dried rosemary. You can also omit rosemary if you don't like it, but I think it adds such a nice flavor!
If you LOVE paleo slow cooker recipes you should click here to sign up for my FREE paleo crockpot cookbook!