This Slow Cooker Chicken Stew is a healthy, easy dinner made in less than 10 minutes of prep time! Paleo, Whole30 friendly and loaded protein/vegetables!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
You are going to serious LOVE this Slow Cooker Healthy Chicken Stew. It’s one of my absolute favorite meals for a few reasons.
Why we love this chicken stew:
- Loaded with protein and veggies – This has chicken, carrots, celery, onions… all the goods.
- Ridiculously easy to make– Do you have a slow cooker and 10 minutes? If so, you’ll be good to go
- Delicious – It’s crazy to me how a few pantry and fridge staples can taste so yummy when mixed together
- COZY – Is this a weird way to describe a meal? IDK, but this is the kinda thing you want to eat while curled up in a blanket on the couch. Soooo comforting.
This stew also reminds me of my gram, who is famous for making it and sending it home with us in leftover ricotta containers (Italians, you understand)
Now, like I mentioned.. this stew is only made with a few pantry/fridge staples that you probably already have on hand.
Ingredients for slow cooker chicken stew:
To make crockpot chicken stew you’ll need potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and chicken. You’ll also need frozen peas, canned tomato puree, chicken broth, tomato paste and some spices.
The best part about this healthy chicken stew recipe is probably how ridiculously simple it is to make.
How to make slow cooker chicken stew:
We seriously ADORE our crockpot… so much so that I wrote a whole ebook about it.
If you haven’t checked that out, you’re missing out. It’s filled with recipes just like this.. 20 mins or less of prep time and all paleo/whole30 recipes!
Click here to grab your Easy Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes Book!
People are always looking for substitutions or ways to tweak recipes, here are some things you can do to customize it.
Substitutions for this crockpot chicken stew:
This chicken stew is easy to customize depending on what you have on hand.
- Potatoes – You can sub in halved fingerling potatoes for this recipe. I have not tried sweet potatoes in this recipe, but I think they would become too mushy!
- Peas – You can omit peas from this recipe. If you are doing a Whole30 you need to omit the peas to make this compliant.
- Tomatoes – You can substitute homemade tomato sauce for tomato puree
- Meat – You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in this recipe. You can also substitute beef for chicken in this recipe or also have a Healthy Beef Stew recipe.
- Wine – A 1/3 cup of red wine adds a nice depth of flavor to this recipe – although it’s totally not necessary. If you are doing a Whole30 do not add wine.
- Rosemary – If you don’t have fresh rosemary you can substitute the same amount of dried rosemary.
Can you freeze this stew?
Yes! This stew freezes very well. In fact, I usually get 3 or 4 small containers and divided the leftovers from the crockpot once we’re done eating it for dinner.
When you’re ready to eat simply defrost the night before or pop in the microwave.
Can you thicken this stew?
This stew gets pretty thick naturally, but if you prefer you can add corn starch or arrowroot powder.
Mix one tablespoon of either corn starch or arrowroot powder with one tablespoon of water.
Stir in the slurry to the stew during the last 30 minutes while it’s cooking and allow it to thicken.
Other healthy slow cooker recipes:
- Healthy Crockpot Tomato Sauce
- Easy Crockpot Bone Broth
- Healthy Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli
- Lemon Rosemary Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Healthy Crockpot Pulled Pork
- Paleo Crockpot Pumpkin Chicken Chili
- 28 Delicious Paleo Crockpot Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- 1.5 lbs boneless chicken breasts cut in cubes
- 1 cup onion chopped finely
- 1 cup russet potatoes cut in ½ inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups carrots chopped finely
- 1 1/2 cups celery chopped finely
- 15 oz can tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas Reserve until ready to eat. Omit if Whole30™
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Chop all veggies + cut raw chicken into cubes. In slow cooker insert, stir all ingredients together except peas.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. When ready to serve, stir in peas until defrosted (omit if strict paleo or Whole30™)
- Chop all veggies + cut raw chicken into cubes.
- In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken cubes in + sear for 1-2 minutes (does not have to cook through).
- Add all onion, carrots + celery. Sauté for 5 minutes until fragrant and slightly soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Cook on high heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat so stew comes to a simmer + cook for additional 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in peas until defrosted (omit if strict paleo or Whole30™)
- Potatoes - You can sub in halved baby potatoes for this recipe. I have not tried sweet potatoes in this recipe, but I think they would become too mushy!
- Peas - You can omit peas from this recipe. If you are doing a Whole30 you need to omit the peas to make this compliant.
- Tomatoes - You can substitute homemade tomato sauce for tomato puree
- Meat - You can substitute boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in this recipe. You can also substitute beef for chicken in this recipe or also have a Healthy Beef Stew recipe.
- Wine - A 1/3 cup of red wine adds a nice depth of flavor to this recipe - although it's totally not necessary. If you are doing a Whole30 do not add wine.
- Rosemary - If you don't have fresh rosemary you can substitute the same amount of dried rosemary.