Healthy Apple Oatmeal is a cozy, delicious breakfast. Gluten free, dairy free + easily made in under 15 minutes with wholesome ingredients. It taste like apple pie in a bowl! This post is sponsored by my friends at The Soulfull Project.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
It’s the first day of fall, and there’s NO BETTER way to kick it off than this Apple Oatmeal.
I’ve been making this healthy apple oatmeal recipe for years, and I just simply couldn’t go another fall without sharing this recipe with you! It’s pure comfort food – and totally tastes like apple pie in a much healthier, breakfast form.
Why we love this apple oatmeal:
- gluten free + vegan – So anyone and everyone can enjoy it
- low in sugar – With the exception of a little maple syrup, this breakfast gets it’s sweetness right from fruit!
- versatile– You can easily customize this oatmeal to your liking – we’ll get into that later.
- delicious – Like I said.. it’s like apple pie, but for breakfast. Need I say more?
The other thing we love about this oatmeal is that it’s made with The Soulfull Project’s Hearty Grains & Seeds, which is basically like elevated oatmeal. It’s a mix of old fashioned oats, oat bran, red quinoa + flax/chia seeds.
Their blends are super versatile, and can obviously be made into classic warm oatmeal, or transformed into something like these Healthy Cranberry Orange Muffins!
While their products are tasty and easy to prepare – my favorite part about The Soulfull Project is their buy one, give one model. For every serving of The Soulfull Project’s hot cereal purchased they donate a serving of 4 Grain cereal to a food bank in your community.
Now, let’s make some oatmeal!
Ingredients for Apple Oatmeal:
How to make Apple Oatmeal:
Step 2: While apples cook, cook your grains.
Step 3: Serve and enjoy!
See, it’s SO easy!! Don’t you want to just dive in??
Can you make apple oatmeal in the microwave?
I don’t recommend making this in the microwave because it’s best when cooked low and slow, but it can be done! To make this apple oatmeal in the microwave:
- Add your apples, coconut oil, cinnamon and maple syrup to a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until apples are slightly tender.
- Add milk, Soulfull Project Hearty Grains & Seeds, spices and maple syrup. Stir + microwave for 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute, until liquid is almost entirely absorbed
- Topped with chopped pecans + enjoy!
How to store apple oatmeal:
You can make this ahead of time, keep in the refrigerator and reheat when ready to eat. It reheats very well and should last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Toppings – Feel free to add additional nuts or seeds as toppings. Other fresh fruit would be delicious or even some nut butter!
- Milk – You can use any type of milk that you like in this recipe, it doesn’t have to be almond milk
- Sweetener – I love maple syrup, but you could use honey or agave nectar if you prefer!
- Oats –I have not tried this recipe with steel cut or old fashioned oats. Both will have completely varying cook times – but feel free to experiment on your own! Soulfull Project has a variety of quick cook/instant oats including Steel Cut Oats and other varieties of Multigrain blends
- WW – This can be a 3SP breakfast if you spray the pan with coconut oil instead of pouring it into the pan, omit the pecans and sub 0SP sugar free maple syrup.
Other healthy oatmeal recipes:
We love oatmeal and all different versions of it. Here are some of our favorite healthy oatmeal recipes!
- Pumpkin Overnight Oats
- Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Healthy Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Healthy Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
Other healthy apple recipes:
- Healthy Apple Crisp
- Healthy Baked Apples
- 30 Healthy Apple Recipes
- Apple Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- Apple Pork Tenderloin Sheet Pan Dinner
- Healthy Apple Cider Bread
- Healthy Apple Muffins
For the apples:
- Melt coconut oil in a sauté pan. Add apples to melted coconut oil. Sauté over low heat for 5-6 minutes until apples start to soften.
- While apples are cooking, In a saucepan, combine milk, oats, spices and maple syrup. Bring to a boil.
- Once oats are boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring until the oatmeal is cooked
- After 5 minutes, stir in cinnamon and maple syrup to apples. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes. You can add a tablespoon of water to the pan if your apples start to stick/the syrup starts to burn
- Divide oatmeal into two separate bowls. Top with apple mixture, chopped pecans and additional maple syrup if desired.
- Toppings - Feel free to add additional nuts or seeds as toppings. Other fresh fruit would be delicious or even some nut butter!
- Milk - You can use any type of milk that you like in this recipe, it doesn't have to be almond milk
- Sweetener - I love maple syrup, but you could use honey or agave nectar if you prefer!
- Oats -I have not tried this recipe with steel cut or old fashioned oats. Both will have completely varying cook times - but feel free to experiment on your own! Soulfull Project has a variety of quick cook/instant oats including Steel Cut Oats and other varieties of Multigrain blends
- WW - This can be a 3SP breakfast if you spray the pan with coconut oil instead of pouring it into the pan, omit the pecans and sub 0SP sugar free maple syrup.