This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in 2018 but has since been updated.
This healthy fried rice is one of our favorite quick and easy weeknight dinners. It’s light while still being filling and delicious. Plus, it’s much better than takeout fried rice!
What makes this fried rice healthy?
Here’s what makes this fried rice better for you than takeout:
- Lower salt– Fried rice is typically loaded with salt and MSG. This recipe uses coconut aminos, which are lower in salt than soy sauce, and does not have any other added salt to it.
- Veggie Loaded – We added carrots, bell peppers and peas for a veggie loaded meal. You could add whatever veggies you have at home – mushrooms, cabbage.. pretty much anything will work!
- High Protein- This fried rice is made with chicken breasts that are low in fat and high in protein.
- Healthy carbs– We used brown rice to add whole grains to this dish. Brown rice is a complex carb and it can help you stay full for longer.
Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE takeout. After cooking all week… sometimes on Friday night the only thing I want to do is veg out in my sweatpants and eat my dinner out of a plastic container…
It always seems like the best idea in the moment, but then the next day I usually don’t feel great.
This lighter fried rice is right up there with healthy takeout fakeout food!
I think this Lighter Chicken Fried Rice is going to be your new favorite weeknight dinner… but you give it a try and let me know!
Ingredients for Healthy Fried Rice:
To make this healthy fried rice you’ll need: toasted sesame oil, chicken breasts, onion, garlic, peppers, carrots, ground ginger, pepper, coconut aminos, red pepper flakes, eggs, frozen peas, and cooked rice.
We have listed substitutions/ways to customize this recipe with what you have on hand below in the post!
How to make Healthy Chicken Fried Rice:
Making fried rice is super simple! Heat your oil in a pan and sear the chicken.
Once your chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside.
Add veggies to the pan and cook until they’re soft. Once softened, push to the side and add scrambled eggs + coconut aminos to the pan.
Cook the eggs and stir every thing together. Add your cooked chicken and frozen peas to the pan and stir together.
Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions if you like.
How to cook rice:
Stovetop: Check the back of your rice for instructions on
Instant Pot: Different types of rice require different cooking times. Here’s a link to a guide on how to cook rice in your instant pot.
Substitutions for this fried rice recipe:
Rice: You can use any type of rice in this recipe. Brown or white rice will work. You can also use cauliflower rice.
Egg free: You can simply omit the eggs.
Vegetables: Bulk up the dish by adding more carrots or peppers! I’ve also added in mushrooms and match-stick sliced zucchini and it was yummy!
Vegetarian: Feel free to skip the chicken and bulk up on veggies to make this vegetarian!
Protein: You can sub in shrimp for the chicken if you’d like. Shrimp take much less time to cook, depending on their size I would cook about 2 minutes on each side until shrimp begin to turn pink. You can also use shaved steak/beef if you prefer! I have not tried this recipe with cooked tofu but I think it would work!
Chicken: Boneless skinless thighs or chicken tenders will also work.
Tips for making chicken fried rice:
- Cutting carrots – an easy way to get small pieces of carrot is to peel in ‘ribbons’ and then chop with a knife. They’ll cook perfectly in this recipe that way!
- Precooked rice – You can buy precooked frozen brown rice or make it in the instant pot to save time. For brown rice we do a 1:1 ratio of rice and chicken broth at 6 minutes.
- Veggies – You can buy pre cut veggies to save time. I love the Healthy 8 Mix from Trader Joe’s. Coleslaw or or broccoli slaw mix will also work!
Storing/Serving Healthy Chicken Fried Rice:
Storing: I keep this healthy fried rice in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
Reheating: You can reheat this fried rice in a pan or in the microwave.
Freezing: We have not tried freezing this healthy fried rice but I think it would work!
Other healthy chicken recipes:
- Healthy Orange Chicken
- Healthy Mediterranean Chicken Orzo
- Healthy Chicken Pad Thai
- Healthy Sesame Chicken
Healthy Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic finely minced
- 1 cup peppers diced finely
- 1 cup carrots finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional- omit if you like less spice
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 cups cooked rice
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil. Sauté chicken for 15-20 minutes until brown on edges. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add additional tablespoon of sesame oil. Heat the oil and sauté onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and spices until vegetables start to soften, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice. Push rice/veggies to the side of the pan
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs until combined. Add eggs to the pan and scramble on the empty side of the pan. Stir together with rice/veggie mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes until eggs are cooked.
- Add cooked chicken, coconut aminos + peas to the pan, stir together until combined
- Serve with sesame seeds or chopped scallions + enjoy!