Healthy Chocolate Donuts are a rich and delicious vegan dessert. Full of chocolate, these healthy donuts are a delicious treat and so easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Looking for a delicious dessert that is vegan and SO yummy? Look no further than these Healthy Chocolate Donuts!
These donuts are so easy to make and taste seriously delicious. They’re rich, fudgy, and almost taste like a brownie. You would never know that they’re dairy free and healthier!
Unlike traditional donuts that are deep fried and loaded with sugar, these donuts are made with a combo of almond meal + whole wheat flour. They use flax seed meal to create a vegan egg substitute – which helps bring up the healthy fat content of the donuts!
I used dark chocolate chips in the donuts/on the drizzle – but you could also use chopped dark chocolate if you prefer!
These are one of my favorite treats for when I’m craving something sweet/delicious but don’t want to eat junk food. I think you’ll love them too!
What you’ll need to make healthy chocolate donuts:
These donuts are fairly simple to make. You’ll need a few basic pantry staples like:
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
Substitutions for vegan chocolate donuts:
These donuts are pretty versatile. Here are a few ways you can customize them!
flax egg – You can substitute the flax egg/flax seed meal in this recipe by subbing in two regular eggs. I have not tried this recipe using a chia egg.
flour – I haven’t tried this recipe with other types of flour but you may be able to sub the whole wheat pastry flour for gluten free flour
milk – you can sub regular milk or other non-dairy milks in this recipe
Healthy Chocolate Donuts
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small bowl, mix flax seed meal + water to make flax ‘eggs’. Allow them to sit for 10 minutes to thicken/combine.
- Stir together almond flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking soda, baking powder, maple syrup, cocoa powder and almond milk to a a bowl + mix until combined. Add in thickened ‘flax egg’
- The mix should be somewhat thick, but if it is clumpy or very difficult to stir, add in a little more milk or water. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spray your donut pan with cooking oil liberally to prevent sticking.
- Spoon batter into a ziploc bag, cut the corner, and ‘pipe’ donuts into your pan.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- flax egg – You can substitute the flax egg/flax seed meal in this recipe by subbing in two regular eggs. I have not tried this recipe using a chia egg.
- flour – I haven’t tried this recipe with other types of flour but you may be able to sub the whole wheat pastry flour for gluten free flour
- maple syrup – you can sub honey for the maple syrup if you’re not vegan or agave nectar
- milk – you can sub regular milk or other non-dairy milks in this recipe