These Healthy Almond Joy Overnight Oats are the perfect breakfast! Great for meal prepping, easy to make and so delicious. Creamy + high in protein too!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in August of 2017.
Are you prepared for the most dreamy bowl of overnight oats EVER? Cause that’s what these healthy almond joy overnight oats are my friends!
Not only do these almond joy overnight oats taste amazing – they’re also protein packed (20g per serving!) which means they’ll keep you full for longer than than regular plain oats normally would!
I’m not a big candy bar person..but I love almond joys.. I mean, really.. who doesn’t? They’ve got the perfect mix of chocolate, coconut and slivered almonds. SO good.
In addition to being delicious, these oats are SO easy to make.. you likely already have everything you need to make them!
Ingredients for Almond Joy Overnight Oats:
There are lots of substitutions listed below for this recipe so you can customize this for your diet.
How to make Almond Joy Overnight Oats:
It is SO easy to make overnight oats. All you need to do is combine your ingredients, shake or stir to combine them, and store in the refrigerator overnight so they thicken up/absorb the liquid.
You can see how thick and creamy they get overnight from photo number 2 to photo number 3. I made the oats in a bowl, but you can definitely make them in a mason jar or container so you can take them on the go in the morning!
What kind of oats should I use for overnight oats?
- For the best overnight oats you’ll need to use old fashioned rolled oats. These are the only oats that will work for making overnight oats!
- You can’t use quick cook or steel cut oats to make overnight oats. With quick cook oats they can get too mushy when soaking overnight. With steel cut oats, they can’t soak up the moisture overnight. They need to be cooked with heat to make them edible. You’ll wind up with a big mess unless you use old fashioned overnight oats.
I mean… don’t you just want to grab a spoon?!
Do you eat overnight oats cold or warm?
You can eat overnight oats cold or warm! It’s up to you and your preferences.
I prefer to pop my overnight oats in the microwave for 20-30 seconds before eating, but if you enjoy them cold you can eat them cold!
How long do the overnight oats need to soak?
Overnight oats typically need at least 6 hours to soak overnight. You can leave them in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours.
Substitutions for Almond Joy Overnight Oats:
There are MANY substitutions for these coconut overnight oats. They’re very versatile. Feel free to get creative with them!
- Dairy Free: You can make these overnight oats dairy free with dairy free yogurt, but they will be lower in protein and likely higher in sugar.
- Vegan: Use dairy free yogurt and vegan friendly chocolate chips to make these overnight oats vegan.
- Milk: Any milk will work in this, you can use regular dairy milk, or whatever non dairy milk you like (almond, oat, coconut, hemp, etc)
- Weight Watchers: The oats alone in this recipe are 4 points. the chocolate+ almonds + coconut are around 2SP. Depending on which chocolate you use or how much, you can lower it to 1 SP.
- Chocolate: You can use any chocolate you like in this. I actually prefer 80% dark chocolate that’s chopped up. So delicious!
- Almond Extract: The almond extract isn’t necessary for this recipe, but it really gives it a nice flavor. It’s a nice thing to have in your baking cabinet.. and super cheap on amazon!
- Coconut Flakes: You can use sweetened coconut flakes. We just prefer unsweetened because typically the sweetened coconut flakes have high fructose corn syrup.
- Sweetener: If you prefer sweeter oats – add a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup.
Our favorite healthy oat recipes
We love oats for breakfast – here are some of our favorite breakfast recipes!
- Berry Overnight Oats
- Healthy Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Baked Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Egg White Oatmeal
- Pumpkin Overnight Oats
Almond Joy Overnight Oats
- In a mason jar or container add all ingredients and shake well until combined.
- Store in refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours.
- Eat warm or cold in the morning!