Healthy Breakfast Casserole is the perfect make ahead veggie egg casserole. Easy to make and delicious- it’s a healthy breakfast you’ll love!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
Breakfast casseroles are such an easy way to meal prep your breakfast or would be perfect to feed a crowd alongside some muffins, like our apple muffins or carrot muffins!
It’s as easy as sautéing your veggies for maximum flavor, mixing with the eggs and spices, and baking. Everything comes together in less than an hour!
Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole (Healthy Recipe)
We know you are going to love this delicious, veggie egg casserole and if you want other healthy breakfast recipes, try our Southwest Breakfast Burrito, Hash Brown Casserole, or Bacon Quiche.
why you’ll love this easy healthy breakfast casserole
There are so many things to love about this casserole and here are some of the reasons it’s a favorite for us:
- Meal prep friendly – Healthy Egg Casserole is perfect for meal prep because it reheats so well! You can store it in the baking dish or slice it, so it is preportioned for the next few days.
- Veggie loaded – This recipe is packed with veggies and you can definitely add more depending on your taste preferences.
- Easy to make – Less than an hour, 8 ingredients, and some spices for this delicious breakfast!
Healthy Egg Casserole Ingredients
To make this healthy egg casserole you’ll need the following:
- olive oil
- garlic, onions
- bell peppers, mushrooms, chopped spinach
- dried parsley, dried basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper
- cheddar cheese
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
How to Make This Healthy Breakfast Casserole
- In a pan, saute garlic and onions in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in chopped spinach until it has wilted.
- Whisk together the eggs and dried spices.
- Mix together egg mixture, cooked veggies, and cheese.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until the eggs are completely set in the center.
How long can breakfast casserole be refrigerated before cooking? I wouldn’t keep this in the refrigerator without it being cooked. Bake the casserole completely once the ingredients are mixed together and reheat if necessary when serving.
Breakfast Casserole Healthy Substitutions
Olive Oil: You can substitute olive oil with avocado oil or melted butter.
Veggies: Feel free to add more veggies. Spinach or other greens would be great in this casserole.
Eggs: You can add in egg whites if you’d like a higher protein/lower fat option.
Spices: You can add more spices if you’d like or substitute in fresh herbs. For fresh herbs use double the amount compared to dried herbs.
Cheddar Cheese: Feel free to omit cheese from this recipe to make it dairy free. You can also substitute other cheese. We think pepper jack, Monterey jack, shredded mozzarella would all work well.
To Make it Lower Carb: Use lower carb vegetables.
Spices: You can use more or less dried spices. Feel free to mix in whatever spices you like!
Bacon: If you want to use bacon, try our Bacon Breakfast Casserole.
To Make it Lower Calorie: To save calories, you can spray your pan with olive oil instead of pouring it into the pan. You can also use half the amount of cheese or skip the cheese.
Can I use almond milk in egg bake? This recipe doesn’t have any milk in it but you definitely can add 1/4 cup to make it creamier. Almond milk will work.
What to Serve with this Veggie Egg Casserole
This veggie egg casserole is a complete meal in itself! Here are some of my favorite sides with this casserole:
- Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Bacon – learn How to Cook Crispy Bacon for a perfect side dish
- Spinach Strawberry Salad
- Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
- Healthy Banana Bread Muffins
How to Store Healthy Breakfast Casserole
How long can you keep a breakfast casserole in the refrigerator? This egg bake can stay in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Anything after that is questionable and a potential food safety issue.
How do you freeze egg bake? You can freeze this healthy egg casserole, but we don’t recommend it. We find that frozen/reheated eggs can be a bit soggy but it will work! The best way is to wrap it in freezer paper and put it in a ziploc bag.
Do you freeze an Egg Breakfast Casserole before or after baking? If you are going to freeze this egg bake, cook it completely, allow it to cool, and then freeze it.
FAQ for Healthy Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Your egg casserole might be rubbery if you didn’t cook the vegetables before. Moisture can lead to rubbery egg bakes. Make sure to thoroughly cook your vegetables and meat before adding to an egg bake!
It’s best to cook vegetables before putting them in an egg casserole. If your vegetables are not cooked all the way, it can lead to a rubbery egg bake!
Calories in an egg casserole can vary. This egg casserole recipe has 225 calories.
No, you can’t freeze an egg bake before cooking. This could be a food safety issue. Cook your egg casserole completely and then freeze.
Other healthy breakfast recipes:
Looking for more healthy breakfast recipes? Check out these Healthy Breakfast Recipes or Healthy Brunch Recipes.
Healthy Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced (4 cloves)
- 1 cup onions minced (1 medium onion)
- 1 cup bell peppers cut in small pieces
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 10 eggs
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a pan, heat olive oil. Add in onions and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and mushrooms to the pan. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped spinach until it has wilted – about 2 minutes
- While veggies cook, whisk together eggs and dried spices.
- In a large bowl mix together egg/spice mixture, cooked veggies and cheddar cheese.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the eggs are completely set in the center.
Leave a Review