An Easy Sweet Potato Home Fries Skillet Recipe everyone will love! These Sweet Potato Breakfast Potatoes are delicious and healthy!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
Our Sweet Potato Breakfast Home Fries are a delicious and norishing way to kick off your morning. They are the perfect blend of tender sweet potatoes, sautéed onions and bell peppers, all infused with a hint of smoky paprika.
These home fries are the embodiment of a hearty and wholesome breakfast, designed to bring warmth and goodness to your breakfast plate.
Whether you’re super busy searching for quick breakfast options or someone keen on meal prep, this recipe has you covered.
Why we love this Sweet Potato Home Fries Recipe
There is a lot to love about this sweet potato recipe. It’s one of our favorite sides for a healthy breakfast because it’s:
- Go Well With Almost Any Breakfast: These Home Fries are so versatile and pair well with a variety of breakfast options, whether it’s the classic combination of eggs and bacon, a nutritious frittata, or even a hearty breakfast burrito.
- Great For Meal Prep: Elevate your meal prep game with these home fries! They are so easy to prepare and retain their flavors even when reheated making them an exceptional choice for prepping days’ worth of wholesome breakfasts in advance.
- Easy To Make: Making these Sweet Potato Breakfast Home Fries is a breeze. With straightforward steps and common ingredients, you’ll effortlessly whip up a delicious breakfast to start your day.
Breakfast Sweet Potato Home Fries Ingredients
For these Sweet Potato Home Fries you’ll need:
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to make Sweet Potato Home Fries
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and bell pepper in olive oil until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside
- Add sweet potatoes in an even layer to the hot skillet. Cook for 5 minutes before stirring and cooking for another 5 minutes on the other side, until browned on both sides. Pour ¼ cup water into the skillet and cover with a lid. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add onion and peppers back into the skillet. Stir together with spices and cook for another 30 seconds.
Sweet Potatoes Home Fries substitutions and additions
Peppers: Feel free to sub red or orange bell peppers.
Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes with a red or orange skin, like Garnet or Jewel are great options to use for sweet potato fries because they have the traditional orange flesh and sweet taste.
Spices: Feel free to use more or less of the spices to taste! If you want to add a Mexican twist to these potatoes, try using this Homemade Taco Seasoning.
How to serve Sweet Potato Breakfast Potatoes
You can serve these home fries with any of your favorite breakfast foods. Here are some of our favorites:
- Crispy Bacon
- Baked Veggie Frittata
- Healthy Pancakes or Banana Pancakes
- Crockpot Egg Breakfast Casserole
- Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- Avocado Toast
- Add to Healthy Breakfast Burritos
- Alongside Egg Muffin Cups for an easy breakfast meal prep
Sweet Potato Breakfast Potatoes FAQs
These home fries will not be totally crispy. There may be some crispy pieces, but most should be soft because of steaming them in the skillet. If you want crispy sweet potatoes, try these Homemade Baked Sweet Potato Fries.
Sweet Potatoes don’t need to be soaked for this recipe.
Sweet potatoes can be a great part of a balanced breakfast because they are high in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
How to store Sweet Potato Home Fries
Storing: Cooked sweet potato home fries will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing this recipe.
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave, toaster oven, oven or on the stove. We find these home fries are best when reheated on the stove in a pan with a little bit of olive oil spray.
Other healthy breakfast recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Breakfast Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy breakfast cookbook.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Potatoes
- Remove pepper and onions from the skillet and set aside. Add sweet potatoes in an even layer. Cook for 5 minutes before stirring and cooking for another 5 minutes on the other side, until browned on both sides. Pour ¼ cup water into the skillet and cover with a lid to lightly steam the potatoes. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- Serve sweet potato home fries along with eggs, bacon, or any of your favorite breakfast foods.
- Notes: Make sure to watch the potatoes closely as they cook so they don’t burn or stick to the skillet. If the water evaporates too quickly from the skillet, add another 1 to 2 tablespoons until the potatoes are cooked through.