A Homemade Chicken Breakfast Sausage Recipe that is delicious, healthy and easy to make. Low carb, paleo and Whole30 friendly! These healthy sausage patties freeze perfectly and are so easy to make!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in 2019 and has since been updated.
If you’re looking for an easy homemade breakfast sausage recipe – look no further than these Apple Chicken Breakfast Sausages!
And before you go… ‘chicken breakfast sausage?? with apples???’ I PROMISE they’re good.
These breakfast sausages are the perfect savory breakfast with just a tiiiiny bit of sweetness from the apples. Filled with protein and flavor – these are going to be your new fav breakfast!
We love these breakfast sausages because they’re super tasty – but they’re also great if you’re paleo, Whole30 or doing Weight Watchers. They have minimal ingredients and are low in points.
What makes this breakfast sausage healthy?
- Low Salt/Fat – Typically breakfast sausage is loaded with salt, and fat. This is a much leaner sausage, and get’s it’s flavor from onions, apples + mushrooms instead of the typical salt/fat.
- Clean Ingredients – Breakfast sausages are also usually loaded with fillers – so making this with your own ingredients is a much better choice!
- High Protein – These breakfast sausages are also high in protein and low in carbs -so they’ll leave you feeling full all morning long!
Ingredients for breakfast sausage:
To make breakfast sausage you’ll need:
- ground chicken
- garlic powder
- salt, pepper
- fennel seeds
- olive oil
How to make breakfast sausage:
Making breakfast sausage is very simple.
- Simply mix together your ingredients until combined
- Form into patties
- Bake! (You could also pan sear them on the stove – but I prefer to bake them!)
The patties will significantly reduce once they’re cooked – so don’t be alarmed!
Substitutions for this recipe:
Meat – You can sub ground chicken with ground pork or turkey. Either are delicious! I haven’t tried this with ground beef but I bet it would work too, it just wouldn’t be as lean. We get all our meat from ButcherBox, it’s the best.
Mushrooms/Onions – I know some people don’t like mushrooms/onions. You can simply omit them from the recipe. I’d recommend adding 1 teaspoon of olive oil if you remove them to help maintain the moisture in the sausages.
Herbs- You don’t have to use rosemary. Feel free to substitute with other fresh herbs or use 1/2 teaspoon of dried herbs.
Apples- Apples are totally optional in this recipe, feel free to skip them!
WW Freestyle Note: In the recipe/points calculated I used 92% lean ground chicken. If you use 98% fat free chicken, these can be 0SP, or you can count them as 1SP. The only thing that would have points would be the olive oil.
Storing Chicken Breakfast Sausage
Refrigerator: These sausage patties will stay in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze breakfast sausage? Yes! These breakfast sausages freeze perfectly and are great for keeping on hand for busy mornings.
You can defrost these sausages by putting them in the toaster oven, or heating them in a pan for 5-10 mins. You can also pop them in the microwave for a minute or two!
Breakfast Sausage FAQ
Chicken sausages are a healthier option because they’re often lower in fat and higher in protein
The healthiest breakfast sausage is one that you make yourself! Homemade breakfast sausage has less salt, fat, and better ingredients than anything you’ll buy at the store. Jone’s & Pederson Farm Sausage are good brands for store bought.
Most chicken sausage is made from a mix of different cuts of chicken and spices. Some have onion and garlic added.
Recipes to serve these healthy breakfast sausages with:
- Sheet Pan Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Use them in this sausage egg bake
- Whole30 Potato Crust Quiche
- Breakfast Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Egg White Oatmeal
- Use them in place of bacon in these Breakfast Burritos
Chicken Breakfast Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped finely
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped in small cubes
- 1 cup apples peeled + chopped in small cubes
- 1 lb ground chicken I used 92% lean
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary or 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Chop onions, mushrooms, and apples.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, roll batter into balls and press flat to form small patties. Place on lined/greased baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes until browned and cooked through.