Healthy Protein Waffles are the best homemade breakfast everyone will love! Learn how to make protein waffles for meal prep or easy breakfast. These protein waffles have no added protein powder- they don’t need it!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
These healthy protein waffles are SO delicious and have that same crunch that you expect from a real Belgian waffle.
We love these with syrup and berries on top, but you can definitely enjoy them with your favorite toppings!
They are perfect for your weekly meal prep and I know you are going to love them!
Why these are the Best Protein Waffles
Here are some of the things that make these homemade protein waffles so good:
- High in protein: Most breakfasts are just pure carbs but these protein waffles have 10g of protein per waffle!
- Simple ingredients: These waffles are made with simple ingredients that you already have in your fridge or pantry!
- Delicious: These protein waffles taste just like classic Belgian waffles, so they are perfectly light and fluffy!
Are protein waffles healthy? Yes, protein waffles are healthy! These waffles are made with wholesome ingredients and are super filling, which makes them a delicious healthy breakfast!
How long does it take to make protein waffles? It takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to make protein waffles, however, cook time will vary depending on your waffle iron.
Healthy Protein Waffles Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make these protein waffles:
There are substitutions for all the ingredients listed below! You’ll also need a waffle iron.
How to make Protein Waffles
Making protein waffles is so easy!
- Mix together all ingredients until well combined
- Allow the batter to rest while you heat up your waffle iron.
- Grease your waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Fill your waffle iron and cook until you do not see steam and the waffle doesn’t stick when you lift the iron up.
How can you tell if healthy protein waffles are done? Protein waffles are done when they have a golden brown exterior and are crisp on the edges and center. You can also see if your waffle iron has a light to tell you when they are done.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR PROTEIN WAFFLE INGREDIENTS
Non Fat Greek Yogurt: We have not tried making this recipe with other types of yogurt, however, I think regular full fat yogurt would work ok. I’m not sure about dairy free/plant based yogurt.
Skim Milk: You can substitute skim milk with any plant based/nondairy milk.
Eggs: We have not tried this recipe without eggs and wouldn’t recommend it. I don’t think it will work. The eggs are essential to the fluffy texture/crispiness on the edges.
Whole Wheat Flour: We haven’t tried this recipe with other flours. Almond or coconut flour will not work and can never be substituted 1:1 for whole wheat flour. However, Gluten Free 1:1 Flour might work but without testing it I can’t be sure.
Can this recipe also be used to make Protein Pancakes? We haven’t tried making this recipe into protein pancakes. I’m not sure how it will work. If you try it, let us know. If you want another healthy pancake recipe, this one is great!
Can I add protein powder to this waffle mix? We have not tried making this recipe with protein powder. Protein powder can make baked goods really spongey and lead to a funky texture. If you’re going to try it though, I would recommend adding protein in small amounts (1/4 cup at a time) and testing to make sure it doesn’t dry out the batter/make it spongey once the waffles are cooked.
Best Toppings for Protein Waffles
These healthy protein waffles are delicious on their own but feel free to top them however you like. Here are some of our favorite toppings:
- maple syrup
- fresh whipped cream
- fresh berries or other fruit
- nut butter (our Strawberry Pecan Butter or Gingerbread Cashew Butter would be amazing!)
- hemp seeds or chopped nuts
- ice cream (we won’t judge!)
Best Waffle Iron
We love this waffle iron. It’s super easy to cook with and the waffle comes out perfectly crispy.
Best Way to Store Protein Waffles
These protein waffles store really well! They are perfect for meal prep!
Refrigerating: Protein waffles can stay in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can you freeze easy protein waffles? Yes, you can freeze easy protein waffles! Put them in an airtight container or reusable Ziploc bag in your freezer for up to 6 months. When ready to eat, either microwave or place directly in the toaster oven from frozen.
How to reheat healthy protein waffles: You can reheat protein waffles in the microwave or in a toaster oven. However, we don’t recommend reheating them in a pan, they will not get as crisp.
Protein Waffle Recipe FAQs
There are 10g of protein in each protein waffle.
This healthy protein waffle recipe is 200 calories for a large Belgian waffle.
The key to keeping protein waffles from being dry is adding a little bit of fat. Melted butter, olive oil, coconut oil can all be added to protein waffles to make them less dry.
You can add protein powder to some waffle mixes, but it won’t always work. If you’re going to try it I would recommend adding it in small amounts and testing it to make sure it doesn’t dry out the batter/make it spongey.
Protein waffles are made out of whole wheat flour, greek yogurt, melted butter, and honey.
Other healthy breakfast recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 45 Healthy Brunch Recipes! Here are some of our other favorite breakfast recipes:
- Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- Protein Donuts
- Healthy Banana Protein Muffins
- Egg Casserole with Hash Browns
- Potato Crust Quiche
- In a large bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, milk, eggs, egg whites, honey, vanilla and melted butter until well combined.
- Gently fold in the whole wheat flour one cup at a time along with the baking powder and salt.
- Allow the batter to rest while you heat up your waffle iron.
- Grease your waffle iron with cooking spray. Fill your waffle iron and cook until you do not see steam and the waffle doesn’t stick when you lift the iron up. (2-3 minutes depending on your iron. Most modern waffle irons have a light that tells you they are done.
- Top however you’d like & enjoy!