Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk is a delicious dairy-free, paleo and Whole 30 friendly milk alternative. Made with only 6 simple ingredients, it’s so yummy!Ok.. I admit it.. I fell into the Instagram trap. If you guys are anything like me.. you can watch Instagram stories for HOURS. I don’t know if it’s my background in Marketing.. but I could just consume content all day long. Between Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, Netflix.. the list goes on and on..and it’s pretty to easy to get totally sucked into. While I try to limit my ‘screen time’, I really do love watching Instagram stories, and sharing them on my own page. It’s such a fun, raw way to connect with people and get a glimpse into peoples lives. I usually just share fun new products that I love or whatever I’m cooking for dinner. (Tonight I’m not cooking… I’m eating a bag of popcorn for dinner #gourmet #FoodBloggerExtraordinaire)
If you’ve watched any health food Instagram-er’s stories recently.. you’ve probably seen them making Homemade Almond Milk.. and if you’re like me you might have rolled your eyes at first. I mean really. Who has time for that? That’s why they make the stuff at the store… right? Well… I’m just gonna say it. Don’t knock it til ya try it friends.
Not to be the food police.. but have you ever looked on the back of a container of almond milk? Some of them have some weird stuff like locust bean gum, sunflower lecithin, and gellan gum. IDK about you… but I’ve never been cooking a recipe and said ‘Oh you know what this needs?? A sprinkle of gellan gum.’ Have you? I usually try to follow my own made up rules of: If it’s something I have to google to see what it actually is or if I don’t have it in my pantry or in my fridge.. than I probably should not be buying it.
Anyways… even if you could care less about what is in your food… This just tastes better than anything I’ve ever gotten at a store. You can actually taste the vanilla, it’s super creamy, and you get to control if you want it sweetened or not! It’s also ridiculously easy to make AND cheaper than what you buy in the store.. If you buy your items in bulk like I do, it’s about 1/4 the price of what you pay for a gallon of it in the store. You’ve got to try it! Keep reading for the recipe + a few tips on how to make the best almond milk!
Homemade Vanilla Almond Milk
|Yield: 3 cups|
- 1 cup almonds
- 3 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 date
- 1/2 a whole vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- Soak almonds in water for a minimum of 6 hours. Once soaked, add into blender with date, vanilla bean + spices.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes or until milk starts to look smooth.
- Strain in a nut milk bag (linked below), squeezing as much milk out of the pulp as possible.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
A few tips if this is your first time making almond milk….
- Make sure to really blend it! You don’t want to under-blend it and then have it be too chunky to strain. It should be relatively smooth when you pour it out of the blender. I really love my Vitamix blender. It’s awesome!
- Save the pulp! You can use it to make energy bites, dry it out for almond meal.. there are lots of options! This post has a lot of good ideas. I’m working on perfecting a cracker recipe with the leftover pulp.. haven’t nailed it yet, but I’ll let you know when I do!
- Make sure to store it in an airtight container! I keep mine in a big mason jar.
- Shake before using/drinking. The milk can separate (which looks pretty gross) so just make sure to shake it to combine it back together
The thing that I love most about this recipe is that pretty much anyone can have it! Whether you’re paleo, doing a Whole30, dairy free, gluten free… it has such simple ingredients it’s good for anyone! While I don’t follow any of those diets, I know a lot of you do – so this is a great alternative to regular milk 🙂
Pin it for later:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.“Affiliate” means that we make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. We appreciate your support!