Looking for a simple, nutritious dinner? This Turkey Mushroom Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash is perfect for a quick meal and filled with warm winter flavors.
If I could only eat one dinner for the rest of the winter.. it would probably be this. There are some dinners that were just made for eating on cold winter nights – and this is definitely one of them. This recipe originated after I went to the farmers market and bought WAY too much produce a while ago. I always get a little over excited when I go grocery shopping of any kind and forget that Tyler and I are only two people… so we really don’t need that much food. My eyes truly always are bigger than my stomach. Anyways, for some reason I felt the need to buy a boatload of squash – acorn, butternut and kabocha. It was all so cheap and they were locally grown + organic… so I just couldn’t resist.
That week, by Wednesday night we were both thinking really… squash..again?? So I knew I had to do something fun with it to mask that we were eating the same veggie for the 4th night in a row! After a little bit of browsing on Pinterest + some scouring of the fridge… I came up with this.
Pure cheesy, filling, protein packed deliciousness! Like all great dinner recipes – this was made with only a few ingredients, and done in under an hour. It takes a little bit longer to make than most of our recipes just because the squash takes a bit of time to roast, but it’s so worth the wait. Lean ground turkey, mushrooms + apples are seriously the most delicious combination!! Not to mention that this got a ‘This was really good” stamp of approval from Ty.. .and zero complaints about eating squash for the 4th or 5th day in a row. That’s how you know it’s good!
- 2 acorn squash, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 oz ground turkey
- 1.5 cups chopped button mushrooms
- 1 cup of chopped apple
- ½ cup chicken or veggie stock
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cheese of choice (Mozzarella, gruyere or cheddar all work great!)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with foil + spray with olive oil to prevent squash from sticking
- Slice acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds and place flat on sheet sprayed with olive oil.
- Bake the squash for 20-25 minutes, until it is fork tender.
- While the squash cooks - sauté turkey in olive oil for 10 minutes until brown.
- Add in chopped mushrooms, apples, chicken stock, rosemary, pepper and salt to the pan. Sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- When the squash is done, remove from the oven + scoop out most of the cooked center.
- Add the squash filling to the turkey/mushroom/apple mixture + stir until completely mixed in.
- Scoop the sausage/squash mixture back into the squash + top with cheese of choice
- Bake them at 450 for 5 minutes until cheese melts, and then broil for 2-3 minutes so the cheesy gets crispy.
Do you have any winter dinner favorites? This and our Low Carb Chicken ‘Noodle’ Soup are two of our go to meals. Simple, quick, and they warm you up! (Even though it’s about 60 degrees as I’m typing this… Does that mean soon spring will be here??) Even if the weather isn’t cold I’m still going to make this!
Pin it for later:
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.“Affiliate” means that we make a little bit of money if you click on and purchase the products that are linked. It doesn’t cost you any extra money. We appreciate your support!