Chicken Caprese Zucchini Noodles are an easy, light, summer dinner. Made with spiralized zucchini and fresh tomatoes, they’re gluten free and delicious! Caprese Zoodles are the best meal that everyone will love!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
Tomatoes, mozzarella and basil are basically meant to be together. They’re three of my all time favorite things to cook with.
Typically tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil are used in caprese salad and served with bread – but I like to serve them in a different way! Zucchini noodles + chicken take caprese salad to the next level, and turn it into a full meal!
Enter Caprese Zoodles:
I’ve been making these Chicken Caprese Zucchini Noodles for years. When summer time rolls around and everyone’s garden is out of control with tomatoes, zucchini and basil – this is the recipe I always turn to!
This dinner is easy to make, light, fresh + SO delicious. Perfect for meal prepping or throwing together when you’re short on time!
If you’re looking for other healthy zucchini recipes – check out these 30 Healthy Zucchini Recipes!
Let me show you just how simple this dinner is to make!
Ingredients for Chicken Caprese Zucchini Noodles
To make Chicken Caprese Zucchini Noodles you’ll need 10 ingredients:
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- mozzarella balls
- chicken breasts
- Balsamic reduction is optional, but delicious!
We’ve included some substitutions below if you don’t have all the ingredients on hand.
How to make Chicken Caprese Zucchini Noodles:
Making Chicken Caprese Zoodles is super simple and takes less than 30 minutes. Here’s how to do it!
- Prep all your ingredients by chopping/spiralizing.
- Cook your chicken until browned. Remove from pan and set aside
- Add tomatoes into pan and cook until just slightly softened.
- Stir in zucchini noodles and cook until they start to soften.
- Once they’re softened, stir in mozzarella and cooked chicken.
- Top with balsamic reduction if you’d like, and dig in!
Substitutions for Caprese Zoodles:
This is a pretty flexible recipe. You can substitute what you have on hand to make the dish come together:
Protein- I haven’t tried this with any other protein but I think it would work with ground turkey or shrimp!
Herbs– You could use dried basil in this recipe instead of fresh, but I would definitely not recommend it. If you have to use it, use 1/2 teaspoon dried basil. You could also add in fresh parsley to this recipe if you like.
Pesto –If you don’t have basil, you could stir in 1-2 tablespoons of pesto
Pasta – You can use pasta instead of zucchini noodles in this recipe. For a paleo pasta I like Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi or Capello’s fettuccine and will sometimes even add them into this dish for extra volume/carbs.
For gluten free pasta I like Modern Table Meals. You can also do half past and half zucchini noodles. I would just cook the pasta while the chicken is cooking and toss in when you would toss in zucchini noodles.
Help! My zucchini noodles are always soggy!
I commonly get asked how to avoid watery zucchini noodles. I have two tips for you for how to avoid soggy zucchini noodles.
REALLY squeeze the water out of them. I use a thick, absorbent (and clean!) dish towel and squeeze the water out of the noodles hard. The towel should be damp when done.
If you are going to meal prep this dish, I recommend not adding in the zucchini noodles to the dish until you are ready to serve. You can place the chicken/veggie mixture into a container and place your raw zucchini noodles on top. When you’re ready to eat, microwave or heat over the stove to avoid mushy noodles.
Storing/Serving Caprese Zucchini Noodles:
Storing: This meal will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator
Freezing: We do not recommend freezing this recipe. The cheese + zoodles will not freeze well.
Reheating: We recommend reheating this dish in a pan on the stove. You can also microwave it, but it may get a little watery.
Other yummy low carb dinner recipes:
- Whole30 Greek Chicken Zucchini Noodles
- Whole30 Pesto Chicken Zucchini Noodles
- Italian Pork Tenderloin Sheet Pan Dinner
- Healthy Turkey Meatballs
Chicken Caprese Zucchini Noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into small cubes
- 1 lb zucchini (approx 3 small zucchini)
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup mini mozzarella balls halved
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction for dressing- optional
- In a large skillet heat olive oil. Cook chicken 7-8 minutes until browned.
- While chicken cooks, spiralize zucchini, chop tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil.
- Once chicken has cooked, remove from pan and set aside. Add in cherry tomatoes, garlic and basil to the pan. Sauté for 3 minutes until they start to soften. Stir in zucchini noodles, salt + pepper.
- Add cooked chicken back in with the zucchini + tomatoes. Toss to combine.
- When ready to serve, stir in chopped mozzarella balls. Garnish with balsamic reduction + enjoy!