This Lemon Artichoke Chicken Recipe is an easy, healthy one pan dinner the whole family will love! Serve it over pasta or rice!This healthy chicken recipe is paleo, and gluten free. Made with simple ingredients like chicken, artichoke hearts, and lemon juice, it’s quick to make and tastes amazing!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in 2018.
When you’re looking for a weeknight dinner that tastes fancy but actually is secretly simple and quick to make… this lemon artichoke chicken is for you!
Lemon, artichoke hearts and chicken get cooked together in a flavorful, dreamy sauce. Served over pasta, cauliflower rice, or risotto..the options are endless and no matter how you dish it out it’s delicious.
I’m a big proponent for ANY easy one pan dinners that taste amazing.. and this is without a doubt one of those types of meals. The chicken with artichoke hearts and lemon just goes perfectly together for a light and fresh meal, that despite not being that pretty, it tastes amazing!
I first made this recipe about 8 years ago, after buying *WAY* too many lemons (Lemon Blueberry Bread , Healthy Honey Mint Lemonade , and Healthy Lemon Basil Vinaigrette are just a few of the recipes that were born out of that week… all of which are SO good!)
Even though this recipe was a total ‘clean out the fridge’ meal – it has become one of our favorites. It’s simple but comforting, and SO full of flavor.
Ingredients for Lemon Artichoke Chicken
To make this recipe you’ll need:
- olive oil
- chicken breasts
- salt, pepper
- canned artichoke hearts (halved)
- lemon juice/zest (we love this citrus juicer)
- chicken broth
- thyme and white wine
The wine is optional but recommended. I’ve also included substitutions for you below!
How to make this Healthy Chicken Artichoke Recipe
Making this Healthy Chicken Artichoke dinner is simple.
- Sear your chicken breasts until they’re browned on each side. while the chicken is cooking, mix together your sauce.
- Once the chicken is cooked add the sauce and let it simmer.
- Add your artichoke hearts, simmer for a few more minutes – and you’ll be ready to eat!
The dish takes about 30 minutes start to finish.
I love this recipe because it tastes fancy (almost restaurant quality) but it’s actually really easy to make, and made with healthy ingredients!
I love the simple combo of the chicken with lemon and artichoke hearts, but if you wanted to jazz this up even more you totally could add kalamata olives or some sautéed cherry tomatoes (something similar to this Healthy One Pam Mediterranean Chicken Orzo or Dairy Free Creamy Tuscan Chicken dish).
I personally like it with just the artichoke hearts, but it’s also a dish that you can play around with towards your own tastes!
Substitutions for this artichoke chicken:
To make paleo/ whole30: If you’re doing a Whole 30 or are strict paleo you could omit the wine from this sauce and it will still taste amazing!
Artichoke Chicken Thighs: You can use chicken tenders or boneless/bone in chicken thighs in this recipe
Thyme: You can substitute thyme with oregano or dried basil. Thyme is measured the same if it is fresh or dried.
Lemon Juice: We do not recommend using bottled lemon juice. It can be overly acidic. Instead, opt for fresh!
Wine: If you don’t want to use the wine, skip it. You can also use red wine. Pinot grigio or chardonnay works best.
Artichokes: This recipe does not work with raw, whole artichokes. Only canned artichoke hearts. If you’d like too learn how to cook artichokes – check out this post for Healthy Crockpot Artichokes.
Creamy: I have not tried making a creamy artichoke chicken but I would think you could add some half and half or heavy cream to the sauce and it would be tasty!
Artichoke chicken pasta: I love serving this dish over fettuccine or with rigatoni – it’s delicious with pasta!
Recipes to serve this Lemon Chicken With Artichokes with:
This lemon artichoke chicken goes great with pretty much anything. Here are some of our favorite sides to serve with it!
- Crispy Dijon Roasted Potatoes
- Healthy Pumpkin Mushroom Risotto
- Healthy Green Beans Almondine
- Garlic Rosemary Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Spiralized Rosemary Potatoes
Healthy Lemon Artichoke Chicken
- Clean chicken and pound until thin. In a large pan – heat olive oil. Once olive oil is hot- add in chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt + pepper. Sear chicken on both sides until brown, approximately 5- 6 minutes on each side.
- While the chicken is cooking mix together lemon zest, juice, stock, wine & thyme leaves
- When chicken is cooked Pour the sauce mixture into the pan and allow it to come to a boil. Be sure to scrape the pan to get all the brown bits off.
- After it has cooked for 5 minutes, add artichoke hearts into the pan and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve over caulifloewr rice, or with roasted vegetables