Looking for a refreshing salad dressing? This Healthy Lemon Basil Vinaigrette is whole30 friendly, paleo, gluten free, and absolutely delicious!
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
Making your own dressing is nowhere near as difficult as you might think. I think dressing is the type of thing that people always either get scared of trying to make or are lazy and just take the easy way out by going with the store-bought brands. Even though it’s nice to just grab something quick at the store… it’s SO worth taking a few extra minutes to make your own! Adding just a touch of something like this Healthy Lemon Basil Vinaigrette recipe gives a salad giant burst of flavor, and only take a few extra minutes to make!
I really never knew making your own dressing was a thing until a few years ago. My idea of making my own dressing was taking the Good Seasons packet from the store and mixing it with oil and vinegar. I never really thought much of this until I started to eat healthier and looked at the ingredients on the back of that packet. Want to know what one of the first ingredients is? Sugar. When I saw that I just thought.. what the heck?! You wouldn’t pour sugar on top of your salad alongside all of the other veggies, right? So why would you coat them in a dressing that was loaded with it and other funky ingredients.
That night I thought to myself…well if all you have to do to make dressing is mix oil, vinegar and spices together..then why can’t I just mix my own? So I did! After that, I was hooked on making my own salad dressings. Now – I do want to say, I’m thankful some nights for the pre-made salad dressings at the store. Over the past few years brands like Tessemae’s (I used their honey poppyseed dressing in these Honey Poppyseed Pineapple Chicken Skewers) and Primal Kitchen Foods have popped up with really tasty, better-for-you, pre-made dressings that I actually love. But as delicious as they are, I still love making my own dressings! I’ve found there a few things that can help you make your own killer homemade dressing
How to Make a Good Homemade Dressing
- Good Quality Oil – I typically use good quality olive oil or avocado oil in my dressings as a base.
- Acidity – You need some sort of acidity to cut the fattiness of the oils. Citrus juices or mustards typically work great, as well as vinegars
- Spices – Premade spice mixes like these are great, but a teaspoon or two of Italian Seasoning will also work great. Truthfully, you can’t go wrong.. so mixing in a little bit of garlic power and your favorite fresh or dried herbs will also do the trick
- I’ve found that occasionally adding something sweet like a bit of honey, jam, or juice can really add a lot of flavor to a dressing as well.
With summer basil everywhere you look – I knew it would be delicious alongside good olive oil + some lemon juice. This recipe is super simple + I know you’re going to love it! The dressing goes great on pretty much anything, but I love it on this Strawberry Avocado Goat Cheese Salad. The sweet peaches and raspberries with the lemon/basil dressing combo is SO yummy! Plus, it’s vegan, whole 30 and paleo – so anyone can enjoy it!
Things we used for this recipe:
Healthy Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- In a food processor or blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour over your favorite salad + enjoy!
You can view the nutrition facts for this recipe here.