This Lemon Basil Vinaigrette is a refreshing, easy salad dressing! Healthy, vegan, paleo, gluten free, and absolutely delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in 2018.
This Lemon Basil Vinaigrette is one of my favorite easy salad dressings! It is super light and fresh, loaded with flavor, and perfect on salads!
If you’ve never made your own salad dressing, I promise it is nowhere near as difficult as you might think. For more ideas, check out these 11 Easy Salad Dressings!
Even though it’s nice to just grab something quick at the store… it’s SO worth taking a few extra minutes to make your own!
Adding just a touch of something like this Healthy Lemon Basil Vinaigrette recipe gives a salad giant burst of flavor, and only take a few extra minutes to make!
Now – I do want to say, I’m thankful some nights for the pre-made salad dressings at the store. Over the past few years brands like Tessemae’s (I used their honey poppyseed dressing in these Honey Poppyseed Pineapple Chicken Skewers) and Primal Kitchen Foods have popped up with really tasty, better-for-you, pre-made dressings that I actually love.
But as delicious as they are, I still love making my own dressings!
I’ve found there a few things that can help you make your own killer homemade dressing
Ingredients for Lemon Basil Dressing
To make this lemon basil dressing you’ll need:
How to Make a Good Homemade Dressing
Making a homemade dressing is so easy!
- Good Quality Oil – I typically use good quality olive oil or avocado oil in my dressings as a base.
- Acidity – You need some sort of acidity to cut the fattiness of the oils. Citrus juices or mustards typically work great, as well as vinegars
- Spices – Premade spice mixes like these are great, but a teaspoon or two of Italian Seasoning will also work great. Truthfully, you can’t go wrong.. so mixing in a little bit of garlic power and your favorite fresh or dried herbs will also do the trick
- Sweet – I’ve found that occasionally adding something sweet like a bit of honey, jam, or juice can really add a lot of flavor to a dressing as well.
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR LEMON BASIL DRESSING
Lemons: I haven’t tried subbing lemon juice/zest for limes but I think it would be good! Do NOT use jarred lemon juice, fresh lemon juice is best.
Basil: This recipe is meant to be made with fresh basil. If you don’t have fresh herbs it will not taste the same. Fresh parsley or cilantro would work in place of the basil.
What to serve this Lemon Basil Dressing on:
The dressing goes great on pretty much anything, but I love it on this Strawberry Avocado Goat Cheese Salad. Here are other ways to use it:
- On top of Spinach Strawberry Salad
- On top of Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- On top of Blueberry Salad
- Marinating chicken or fish
- On Grilled Vegetables in Foil
- As a marinade for Vegetable Kebabs
How to Store Basil Dressing
Storing: This basil dressing will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, after that the basil will start to deteriorate and the lemon may taste too acidic.
Separation/solidifying is normal in the refrigerator! Just sit the dressing out on the counter at room temperature for 5 minutes and stir it up before serving.
Freezing: Don’t freeze this dressing. It will not freeze will
Lemon Dressing FAQ
Lemon dressing is simply made of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, some dried spices and fresh basil.
Citrus dressing will last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. It’s best eaten fresh.
Other healthy dressing recipes:
Looking for other homemade dressings? Check out these Healthy Dressing Recipes.
Lemon Basil Vinaigrette
- In a food processor or blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour over your favorite salad + enjoy!