An easy Buffalo Chicken Casserole Recipe you’ll love! Made with simple ingredients like potatoes & chicken in under an hour for an easy dinner. Quick, simple and delicious.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
There’s no denying we love all things buffalo sauce. From Buffalo Brussels Sprouts to Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip and Healthy Buffalo Turkey Meatballs are just a few of my favorite meals that use buffalo sauce.
Traditional casseroles are NOT my thing. So many of them use canned creamy soups which are loaded with salt, preservatives and mystery ingredients – not my thing. But you can easily make casseroles with much better ingredients (like this Chicken and Rice Casserole or our Mexican Chicken Casserole!)
This buffalo chicken casserole is so much better for SO many more reasons!
Why we love this Healthy Chicken Casserole
This recipe is quick, easy and healthy (the best kind of recipe!) Here’s why we love it!
- Healthy Ingredients– Unlike other casseroles made with high fat/salt creamy condensed soups, this casserole is made with lean chicken, potatoes and veggies. It gets it’s creaminess from nonfat greek yogurt and cheese.
- Easily Customizable-There are tons of substitutions listed below in the recipe for how to customize this recipe
- High Protein– Many casserole recipes are loaded with carbs and don’t have a ton of protein. This buffalo chicken casserole has over 35g of protein per serving!
The best part about this recipe is that it’s quick to make. Let me show you how
Buffalo Chicken Healthy Casserole Ingredients
To make this buffalo chicken casserole you’ll need:
- olive oil
- shredded chicken
- Frank’s Red Hot
- celery, carrots
- garlic powder, onion powder
- non fat greek yogurt
- cheddar cheese
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Make shredded chicken. Follow these directions for the instant pot, crockpot, boil on the stove for 10 minutes, or buy a rotisserie chicken + shred.
- In a large bowl mix together cooked chicken and all ingredients except cheese.
- Pour into a casserole dish. (Here’s a link to the one we used) Top with cheddar cheese, cover and bake at 400 for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for remaining 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and potatoes are fork tender.
Buffalo Chicken Casserole Recipe Substitutions
These cookies are pretty versatile. Here are a few ways you can customize them!
Chicken: Chicken thighs, breasts or tenders could be used to make shredded chicken.
Yogurt: I haven’t tested it but you could use full fat yogurt in this recipe and I think it would work.
Frank’s Red Hot: You can substitute any buffalo sauce you like in this recipe. I haven’t tried it but I think you could also substitute barbecue sauce.
Weight Watchers Note: The points for this recipe were calculated as follows: Potatoes (16), Cheddar Cheese (16 points). 32/4 = 8SP. You could use low fat cheddar cheese and save 3 SP per serving (Would be 5SP per serving)
Cheddar Cheese: Cheddar cheese could be swapped with colby jack, mozzarella or any shredded cheese you like. I haven’t tried this with low fat cheese but I think that would also work.
Low Carb: I haven’t tried substituting potatoes for cauliflower in this recipe. I think the cauliflower would need less time to cook. We also have a Low Carb Buffalo Chicken Casserole recipe or these Buffalo Chicken Burgers would be great!
How to make sure your Chicken Casserole doesn’t dry out
To make sure your chicken doesn’t dry out, make sure you cook and store it correctly. This Crockpot Shredded Chicken Recipe always comes out juicy and moist.
When storing/reheating chicken, you can also add ¼-½ cup of broth to help keep your chicken moist. The broth won’t affect the flavor of the chicken and will help keep it juicy!
Storing and Serving Chicken Casserole
Refrigerator: This recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freezing: I haven’t tried freezing this recipe but I think it might work.
Can this recipe be made ahead? I haven’t tried making this ahead of time but I think it would work. Your potatoes might get a little brown/funny but it shouldn’t affect the taste!
Can this recipe be reheated? Yes, this recipe also tastes great when reheated .. Simply reheat in a microwave or in an oven set at 350°F until center is cooked through. You can also sauté on the stove if you’d like to warm it up.
Chicken Casserole Recipe FAQ
You don’t have to cook chicken before putting it in a casserole. Some chicken casserole recipes use raw chicken, some use cooked chicken.
To add flavor to chicken casserole try adding salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. You can also add cheddar cheese for flavor
Anything goes well with buffalo chicken, but our favorite things to serve with it are creamy sauces. Ranch, a buffalo yogurt sauce or plain non fat greek yogurt are great. This buffalo chicken casserole is a whole meal in itself so there’s no need
Other healthy dinner recipes:
Here are some of our favorite healthy dinner recipes.
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Healthy Buffalo Turkey Meatballs
- The Best Baked Feta Pasta Recipe
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large bowl mix together cooked chicken and all ingredients except cheese. Pour into a casserole dish (I used a 4 quart 12×9 casserole dish) Top with cheddar cheese, cover and bake at 400 for 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for remaining 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and potatoes are fork tender.
- *Note: Buffalo sauce and cheddar cheese are high in sodium. You can reduce the sodium in this recipe but cutting both ingredients in half.