Healthy Roasted Chickpeas are the perfect healthy snack to satisfy your crunchy, salty snack cravings! Vegan, gluten free, portable and delicious!
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
If you’ve never made roasted chickpeas- you are in for a treat!
These crunchy, crispy, salty little bites of deliciousness are SO yummy and great for snacking on! We love them on their own, but they’re also great in salads or as a topper to this Paleo Butternut Squash Soup!
No matter how you enjoy them, there are a few things you need to do to ensure that your chickpeas actually come out crispy and not soggy!
Tips for the best roasted chickpeas:
- Dry off the chickpeas – Make sure you dry your chickpeas off thoroughly! If you’re using canned chickpeas, I like to run them through a strainer, drain them completely, rinse off any of the liquid from the can, and drain again. Then, I lie the chickpeas on a clean dish towel and pat completely dry.
- Don’t skimp on the oil – Using oil helps get the chickpeas super crispy. You can use olive oil or avocado oil, but make sure you don’t skimp on it!
Once you make your crunchy roasted chickpeas, you want to make sure you store them properly
Tips for storing healthy roasted chickpeas:
- Truthfully, these are best when eaten hot or shortly after they have come out of the oven. Since they’re not deep fried, they don’t remain as crispy for as long as many of the store bought brands!
- You can store these roasted chickpeas for 2-3 days in an airtight container at room temp, but they will start to lose their crunch after that.
One of the reasons I love this recipe so much is that you can easily customize it!
Substitutions for this recipe:
- Oils- You can use olive oil or avocado oil.
- Spices – You can use any kind of spices on these chickpeas! We love Tiny Little Chef Seasonings, their House and Chili Lime Seasoning blends are great on these (you can use code CLEANEATING to save on their site!) Get creative with your favorite spices and make your own blend! You will need a total of 1 1/2 teaspoons of spice/seasonings in total – so have fun with it!
Can you use homemade chickpeas?
- Yes! Feel free to use your own home cooked chickpeas. You’ll need about 1 cup of cooked beans to make this!
Other healthy snack recipes:
- Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites
- Healthy Banana Protein Muffins
- Healthy Toasted Rosemary Walnuts
- Healthy Chocolate Hummus
Healthy Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees + prepare a lined baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner or cooking spray.
- Drain + rinse chickpeas with water. Pat dry with a paper towel or dish towel.
- In a bowl, toss chickpeas and olive oil in a bowl until thoroughly coated in mixture.
- Spread the chickpeas evenly on the lined cookie sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, giving the cookie sheet a little shake every 10 minutes or so.
- Once the chickpeas come from the oven, immediately toss with spices. Allow chickpeas to cool slightly, and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Dry off the chickpeas - Make sure you dry your chickpeas off thoroughly! If you're using canned chickpeas, I like to run them through a strainer, drain them completely, rinse off any of the liquid from the can, and drain again. Then, I lie the chickpeas on a clean dish towel and pat completely dry.
- Don't skimp on the oil - Using oil helps get the chickpeas super crispy. You can use olive oil or avocado oil, but make sure you don't skimp on it!