Crispy Roasted Potatoes are an easy, delicious side dish! Learn how to make perfectly cooked roasted potatoes in oven. No more wondering how long to roast potatoes in oven – we’ve got you covered!
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy. This post was originally shared in March of 2018 but has since been updated.
These are the extra crispy roast potatoes that I DREAM about throughout the day waiting for dinner… Seriously, I’m not kidding.
I love potatoes and carbs in all forms, but I have a special spot in my heart for potatoes. They’re one of my all time favorite side dishes.
Super easy to make, these quick crispy roasted potatoes will become a staple in your house!
Why We Love Crispy Roasted Potatoes
I love potatoes for a lot of reasons, obviously, they’re delicious, but also because they’re so versatile!
However, I will say that oven roasted potatoes are the best way to eat them.
They’re super crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, perfectly salty, and have a little bit of flavor + kick from the garlic powder/pepper!
Crispy Potatoes Ingredients
Making oven roasted potatoes is pretty simple. You’ll just need:
Substitutions for this crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes recipe
These potatoes are pretty versatile. Here are a few ways you can customize them!
Potatoes– Any potato will work in this potato recipe, but see below for the best potatoes for roasting. We like roasted russet potatoes and that’s what we used for this recipe! We also love Yukon Gold Potatoes.
Spices – You can use any combo of spices in this recipe. Feel free to omit garlic, onion, or salt + pepper to your taste. You can also use 1 tablespoon of your favorite spice blend (like taco seasoning or Italian seasoning). You could also try minced garlic or fresh herbs like fresh thyme or fresh rosemary!
If you’re looking for an easy side dish that goes with anything – these are for you! They’re paleo, gluten free, Whole30 friendly + vegan which means pretty much anyone can enjoy them!
How to cut Oven Roasted Potatoes
To cut potatoes, first slice them lengthwise into slabs. Then slice them into thick fry-like shapes. Finally, cut potatoes into cubes.
Cutting the potatoes is really the hardest part of this recipe!
How to make Roasted Potatoes in Oven
These crispy oven roasted potatoes couldn’t be easier to make.
- Cut potatoes (see above for tutorial)
- In a bowl, toss together cut potatoes, olive oil + spices. Make sure all pieces are evenly coated
- Spread out potatoes on lined baking sheet
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes and stir potatoes to make sure all sides are getting evenly cooked. Bake for additional 20 minutes until potatoes are browned.
How long to Roast Potatoes
It’s best to roast potatoes at 450° for about 40 minutes.
What are the best potatoes for Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes?
Starchier potatoes like russet potatoes are great for roasting because they are absorbent.
You can use red potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, or fingerling potatoes in this recipe and it will be equally as delicious but may not be as crispy.
Sweet potatoes will not get as crispy as russet potatoes, but you can use them in this recipe. We also have a Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes recipe!
Tips for Roasted Potatoes in Oven
Getting the best crispy roast potatoes is not as hard as you think! Here are a few things to do for super crispy oven roasted potatoes:
Cut in small pieces- Cut potatoes in 1/2 inch small pieces so they can get browned on all edges. Larger pieces will work but will need more time.
Evenly cut potatoes- Make sure you evenly coat all the potatoes with olive oil and spices. The olive oil will help the potatoes get crispy when roasting!
Keep your oven at a high temp. Roasting the potatoes at 450 for almost an hour is what will give them that perfectly crunchy outside! If your potatoes don’t seem crispy after 40 minutes, maybe give them a few more minutes or broil them. Everyone’s oven is a little different and yours just may require a few more minutes!
Evenly spread out the potatoes – Don’t stack them on top of one another – spread your potatoes out on the baking sheet and try not to overcrowd them.
How to store Roasted Potatoes
Storing: These potatoes will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing these potatoes. They will lose their crisp.
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave, toaster oven, oven or on the stove.
How to reheat Crispy Roasted Potatoes
These potatoes reheat really well. I have reheated them in the toaster oven, oven, or a pan to reheat. If you microwave them, they will not be as crispy – but they’re still tasty!
To reheat in your oven or toaster oven: Set the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner. Place in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes, tossing halfway, until potatoes are warm and crisp on the outside.
To reheat in a pan: spray your pan lightly with olive oil. Turn up to high temperature. Add potatoes to the pan. Heat for 4-5 minutes, until potatoes are crisp on the outside, stirring occasionally.
How to serve these Crispy Roasted Potatoes
These potatoes go with pretty much anything! Here are some of our favorite things to serve them with:
Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes FAQ
The key to extra crispy roast potatoes is a combo of cooking at a high temp, using olive oil and baking on parchment paper! The oil allows the potatoes to get nice and crispy which gives them the perfect roasted exterior
No you do not have to boil potatoes before roasting. Boiling potatoes can help them get crispy because it allows the starches to release, but it’s not necessary.
Your roast potatoes could not be crispy for a few reasons. They might be under cooked or not have enough oil on them. Crispy oven roasted potatoes need to be cooked on high for at least 30 minutes.
No you shouldn’t cover potatoes with foil when roasting them. Covering potatoes with foil will make them soggy potatoes and will not allow them to crisp up.
Fresh thyme and fresh rosemary would both be delicious on russet or yukon gold potatoes.
We recommend silpat baking sheet or parchment for the best potatoes.
Other Popular Clean Eating Couple Recipes:
- Instant Pot Loaded Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Pulled Chicken
- Shredded Chicken Casserole
- Crispy Bacon in Oven
- Chicken Tender Recipe
- How to Make Lentil soup
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot Recipes Beef Stew
Crispy Oven Roasted Potatoes
Sheet Pan Instructions
Air Fryer Instructions
- *IMPORTANT NOTE* FOR AIR FRYER: USE 1/2 THE AMOUNT OF OIL – you only need 1 tablespoon of oil
- In a bowl, toss together chopped potatoes, olive oil + spices. Make sure all pieces are evenly coated
- Air Fry at 400 for 20 -25 minutes. If your air fryer has a basket, remove it at 10 minutes, shake, and return to cooking. This allows the potatoes to cook evenly. Every air fryer is different so check after 20 minutes to make sure they don't burn!
- Cut the potatoes in 1/2 inch small pieces so they can get browned on all edges. Larger pieces will work but will need more time.
- Make sure you evenly coat all the potatoes with olive oil and spices. The olive oil will help the potatoes get crispy when roasting!
- You want your oven to be at a high temp. Roasting the potatoes at 450 for almost an hour is what will give them that perfectly crunchy outside! If your potatoes don’t seem crispy after 40 minutes, maybe give them a few more minutes or broil them. Everyone’s oven is a little different and yours just may require a few more minutes!