These Healthy Gingerbread Breakfast Cookies are the perfect nutritious, on-the-go breakfast! Gluten free, dairy free, low in sugar and so yummy!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in February of 2017 but has since been updated.
Cookies… for breakfast? Yep. It can be done. Our Healthy Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies and Healthy Banana Breakfast Cookies were such a hit that it was only right to make a healthy gingerbread breakfast cookie!
There’s nothing better than a healthy, portable breakfast that tastes great – and these gingerbread breakfast cookies are just that! They’re also made with super affordable, simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand, and are SO yummy.
Basically, they’re amazing.
Why We Love Gingerbread Breakfast Cookies
There are a few reasons why we LOVE these breakfast cookies
- Portable – Think oatmeal.. but in grab + go form
- Low Sugar – These have 4g of sugar per cookie, which is super minimal
- Delicious – They taste festive while not being loaded with sugar and calories
- Easy to make – SO simple to make. These are the perfect recipe to get your kids in the kitchen, or to make for yourself quickly!
We love ALL the cookies that are around this time of year, but we especially love these healthier breakfast cookies!
If you’re looking for other holiday recipes check out these Healthy Christmas Recipes!
Here’s how to make them:
Ingredients for Gingerbread Breakfast Cookies:
To make these cookies you’ll need:
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
(You can ignore the baking powder in the photo- this is an old photo and it’s not necessary – just follow the recipe!)
How to make gingerbread breakfast cookies:
These breakfast cookies are definitely one of our more simple recipes.
- Add all your ingredients in a bowl
- Mix together until combined
- Drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet + bake!
After a short time in the oven, you’ll have gingerbread breakfast cookies ready to be enjoyed and your entire house will basically smell like Christmas!
These are perfect for a cold winter morning with a Healthy Gingerbread Latte or cup of hot chocolate. They’re just festive enough to satisfy that craving, without being loaded with sugar.
Can you use quick cook or steel cut oats in this recipe?
No, unfortunately, you can’t use quick cook or steel cut oats to make these healthy breakfast cookies.
Quick cook oats can get too mushy when mixed with these ingredients as they are often smaller and less hearty than old fashioned oats.
With steel cut oats, they can’t soak up the ingredients and cook in time. They need to be cooked for much longer over with heat to make them edible. You’ll wind up with a mess unless you use old fashioned overnight oats.
How to store gingerbread breakfast cookies:
You can store these gingerbread oatmeal cookies in the refrigerator in an airtight container. These breakfast cookies will last a week or so in the fridge, and a few months in the freezer!
They definitely hold their flavor/shape well – so go ahead and double the batch!
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR BREAKFAST COOKIES
These cookies are pretty versatile. Here are a few ways you can customize them!
Gluten Free- You can use gluten free old fashioned oats if you need to make this recipe gluten free.
Muffins – If you love these flavors, try our Healthy Gingerbread Muffins!
Gingerbread Breakfast Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 + prepare a lined cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients.
- Add in wet ingredients + stir until everything is mixed
- Drop cookie dough by one tablespoon balls on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes + allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container + enjoy!