Healthy Peppermint Mocha Muffins are an easy & delicious treat. Healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast or dessert! Easily made gluten free.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links.
If you’re feeling festive, there is no better breakfast than these Peppermint Mocha Muffins (unless of course you pair them with a Healthy Peppermint Mocha!
Easily made gluten free and quick to make – these chocolate mint muffins are the perfect mix of rich, sweet chocolate and cool peppermint (an epic holiday combo!)
Why we love these muffins:
There are lots of recipes out there for healthy muffins but we love these because they’re festive, yummy and quick to make (less than 30 minutes!) Here’s why we love them:
- Easy to make: These muffins are made with 10 ingredients you probably already have in your pantry/fridge. Nothing fancy here!
- Delicious: Probably the most important factor. These muffins taste like a bakery style muffin, but they’re made with better ingredients!
- Whole wheat flour: I used whole wheat flour in this recipe rather than bleached white flour. Whole wheat flour is a great source of whole grains and much better for you than regular white flour! This is the whole wheat flour I like.
- Low in sugar: This recipe is sweetened only maple syrup (and some chocolate chips for good measure) Many muffins recipes are loaded with sugar, but this recipe has only 11g of sugar per muffin.
Ingredients for Peppermint Mocha Muffins:
To make these muffins you’ll need:
- almond milk
- an egg
- non fat greek yogurt
- peppermint extract
- maple syrup
- whole wheat flour
- finely ground coffee
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda, baking powder
- chocolate chips and candy canes (optional)
How to make Healthy Peppermint Muffins
Making these muffins is easy.
- Gather all your ingredients.
- Mix together your milk, egg, yogurt, peppermint extract and maple syrup until combined.
- Add in your dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, coffee, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda
- Add in chocolate chips and pour batter in a lined muffin tin. Bake per instructions.
- Optional: Top with candy canes after baking!
Substitutions for Chocolate Mint Muffins:
There are a bunch of different substitutions for this healthy muffin recipe. Work with whatever you have in your pantry/fridge!
WW Freestyle Note/Nutrition Facts : The points/nutrition facts for this recipe were calculated using Lily’s Chocolate Chips
Milk: you can use any milk in this recipe
To make gluten free: replace whole wheat flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
To make vegan: I haven’t tried it but I think you can replace 1 egg with 1 flax egg.
Flour: You can replace whole wheat flour with white flour but your muffins might be a little more dense. I would not recommend almond flour, coconut flour, or oat flour. You can not substitute these flours 1:1 with whole wheat flour.
Mini Muffins: You can make these into mini muffins by cutting the bake time in half.
Tips for Healthy Chocolate Muffins:
These chocolate muffins are pretty foolproof to make, but here are some tips that might be helpful for you when making them!
- Use muffin tin liners: These reusable silicone muffin molds are great, or these disposable muffin liners.
- If you’re not using muffin liners: I typically grease my muffin tin liberally with coconut oil or cooking spray. You can also run a butter knife along the edges of the pan to help loosen the bread before taking it out.
- Allow the muffins to cool completely for about 15 minutes before taking them out of the pan.
How to store chocolate mint muffins:
Storing Chocolate Mint Muffins: You can store these muffins covered on your counter for a few days, but I recommend keeping them in the refrigerator for freshness! The muffin will last up to a week in the refrigerator – but will lose their freshness after about 3 days on the counter.
How to freeze Chocolate Mint Muffins: I like to freeze muffins in a reusable ziploc bag or a air-tight container. It’s best not to stack them on one another when freezing because they may stick together. When you’re ready to serve – pop in the microwave or the toaster oven until they’re warmed through.
Other healthy muffin recipes:
We adore healthy muffins! Here are some of our favorites!
- Healthy Gingerbread Muffins
- The Best Healthy Zucchini Bread Muffins
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Muffins
- Healthy Carrot Muffins
- Healthy Cranberry Orange Muffins
Healthy Peppermint Mocha Muffins
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nonfat greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon finely ground coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips optional
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes optional
- Preheat oven to 400 + prepare a greased or lined muffin tin. We like silicone muffin liners.
- Mix together almond milk, egg, yogurt, peppermint extract, and maple syrup. Stir to combine.
- Fold in flour, cocoa powder, coffee, baking soda, baking powder and chocolate chips
- Pour batter in to greased or lined muffin tins, filling 3/4 the way.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center of muffins.
- When muffins come out of the oven – immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Do not bake with candy canes on top or they will melt.
- WW Freestyle Note/Nutrition Facts : The points/nutrition facts for this recipe were calculated using Lily’s
- Milk: you can use any milk in this recipe
- To make gluten free: replace whole wheat flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten Free Flour
- To make vegan: I haven’t tried it but I think you can replace 1 egg with 1 flax egg.
- You can substitute honey with maple syrup.
- Flour: You can replace whole wheat flour with white flour but your muffins might be a little more dense. I would not recommend almond flour, coconut flour, or oat flour. You can not substitute these flours 1:1 with whole wheat flour.
- Nuts: You can add pecans or walnuts
- Mini Muffins: You can make these into mini muffins by cutting the bake time in half.