Looking for the perfect gluten free side dish that feels decadent but is actually made good for you? Try this creamy, Healthy Pumpkin Mushroom Risotto!
This post may include affiliate links. Click here to read my policy.
Are you sick of pumpkin yet?? Did you have one too many pumpkin spice lattes or eat pumpkin pie for breakfast lunch and dinner last weekend at Thanksgiving? I know I’m not over it yet, but then again, I’m the girl that sometimes makes gingerbread or pumpkin muffins in the middle of july because I miss those flavors. I just don’t believe that we should be limiting pumpkin or gingerbread to 3 months out of the year, but that’s just me!
Either way, I know I’m a little late to the game on the pumpkin recipe – but I hope you’re still into it. Sooo many people were excited about this when I posted about it on Instagram and I really have no excuse for not getting it up on the site other than I got excited about other recipes and prioritized them first. #FoodBloggingProblems
If you love pumpkin, you have to try these 30 Healthy Pumpkin Recipes!
But now that Christmas is coming up – you guys have to have this recipe. It’s the perfect gluten free side dish that feels super decadent but actually isn’t at all. Most risotto is made with a ton of butter and heavy cream. This risotto doesn’t need that. A combo of cooking it low and slow + pumpkin puree makes it soooo creamy and delicious!
I made this one night because I had extra pumpkin leftover in the fridge after making my Paleo Pumpkin Snickerdoodles. I’ve been trying to make an effort to waste less, so I used what was left in the pumpkin puree can, and some random lonely mushrooms. Suuuuch a yummy combo! In addition to being ridiculously creamy, the mushrooms and thinly sliced sage totally amp up the flavor of the dish, making it completely irresistible. You could totally leave out both if that isn’t your thing – or replace with basil or rosemary. I’ve tried it and it tastes just as delicious!
If we’re being completely honest.. I don’t even like rice. I’d much rather eat a big bowl of pasta because I find it pretty boring. Buuuut if this is the kinda rice we’re talking about.. then I’m all over it.
Tyler and I were basically standing over the stove eating this straight of the pan because we loved it so much! I think you will love it too 🙂
Things we used for this recipe:
Looking for other healthy side dishes? Try these!
Healthy Pumpkin Mushroom Risotto
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan. Saute onions for 5-8 minutes until translucent. Add in mushrooms (it will seem like a lot, but they will shrink!), saute 2 minutes.
- Once mushrooms start to soften, stir in uncooked rice.
- Add in 2 cups of broth, wine + spices. Simmer for 15 minutes on high until the rice starts to absorb the liquid.
- Stir in pumpkin, milk, and parmesan cheese, stirring constantly on medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Add in final 1/2 cup broth and continue to stir until rice is cooked (Approximately another 5-10 minutes)
- Towards the end, stir in chopped sage for an extra layer of flavor!