The easiest Sweet Potato Gnocchi Sauce! This Brown Butter Mushroom sauce is perfect with homemade sweet potato gnocchi. Absolutely delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
If you’re looking for a comforting and flavorful sauce, look no further than this Sweet Potato Gnocchi Sauce!
This recipe combines the earthy flavors of mushrooms and sage with the nutty richness of brown butter, creating a delicious and complex sauce that pairs perfectly with soft and pillowy sweet potato gnocchi.
why we love this brown butter mushroom sauce recipe
There is a lot to love about this sauce. It’s one of our favorites because it’s:
- Easy to Make – This sauce is incredibly easy to make in one pan and is absolutely delicious on any pasta!
- Full of Flavor – Brown butter, sage, and mushrooms add an earthy, depth to this sauce!
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Gnocchi Sauce
To make this brown butter mushroom sauce you’ll need:
For serving, you will also need:
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How to Make Brown Butter Sauce
- Cook butter in a preheated pan over low heat for a few minutes until it begins to brown. Add your onions, garlic, and spices. Sauté until translucent. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- While the mushrooms cook, add your gnocchi to boiling salted water, after about 5 minutes they should begin to float to the top, before draining your gnocchi be sure to reserve 1/4 cup of the starchy pasta water – we’ll use this for the sauce.
- Drain gnocchi and add to the mushroom sauce. Add olive oil and pasta water. Reduce heat, and gently stir for about 1 minute. Add parmesan cheese and stir until melted & combined.
How to Serve Mushroom Sauce
How to Store Gnocchi Sauce
Storing: This will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
Freezing: We don’t recommend freezing this sauce. The texture of mushrooms can get odd when frozen. It’s best to enjoy fresh!
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave or in a pan on the stove.
Other healthy pasta sauce recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi Mushroom Brown Butter Sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Lightly salt water once boiling.
- Pre-heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add butter to the pan, and cook over low heat for a few minutes as it bubbles and begins to brown
- Add your onions, garlic, and spices as the butter continues to sizzle. Sauté until translucent. Browning the spices allows the sage to really come through in the sauce.
- Add your mushrooms and cook for about 5-7 minutes on medium heat. The water will begin to be removed from the mushrooms and when they are finished they will have a nice dark color to them. The mushrooms will reduce about 1/4 of the size.
- While the mushrooms cook, add your gnocchi to the boiling water, after about 5 minutes they should begin to float to the top, before draining your gnocchi be sure to reserve 1/4 cup of the starchy pasta water – we'll use this for the sauce.
- Drain gnocchi and add to your pan with our mushroom sauce. Add the olive oil and pasta water. Reduce the heat, and stir together gently for about 1 minute. Add your parmesan cheese and stir until melted & combined.