This Paleo Turkey Taco Stuffed Delicata Squash recipe is fun fall twist on tacos. Easy to make, whole30 friendly, dairy free and so delicious for dinner!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and more about affiliate links. This post was originally shared in October of 2017 but has since been updated.
Turkey Taco Stuffed Delicata Squash are probably one of my favorite fall meals.
They’re very simple to make, super hearty and are just a fan way to enjoy one of the best meals of all time: tacos.
Don’t get me wrong, I love tacos straight up, or a taco salad.. but sometimes it’s fun to switch it up a bit!
One of my favorite things about this stuffed delicata squash recipe is that you can make it with only a few ingredients.
It’s perfect for those ‘oops I forgot to go to the store’ kind of nights! Here’s how we make it.
Ingredients for Stuffed Delicata Squash
You can make stuffed delicata squash with only a few ingredients. You’ll need:
This ChopStir is also super helpful for breaking up turkey while you’re cooking it. We use it all the time!
How to cut delicata squash:
Delicata squash are a little different from other squash, because you can actually eat the skin on them!
- To cut a delicata squash, I like to slice lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds, and roast as is, or cut into slices.
- Once you’ve cut up your squash, you’re ready to go!
How to make stuffed delicata squash:
This delicata stuffed squash is almost too easy to make.
- Once your squash is cut, pop it in the oven to roast.
- Then, cook onions + turkey.
- Stir in salsa + spices. Stuff delicata squash with filling, top with more salsa + bake! If you’re not paleo or whole30 – now would be a good time to add a little bit of cheddar cheese (so good!) I like to top mine with guacamole!
These are a pretty versatile recipe, so you can definitely switch things up depending on what you have on hand. Here are a few of my favorite ways to change up this recipe.
Substitutions for turkey taco squash:
- Meat– This recipe will work with turkey, beef or ground chicken. Feel to swap out your favorites!
- Cheese– If you’re not paleo/Whole30 – shredded cheddar cheese is so delicious on top of this!
- Chicken Stock – You can add a little bit of broth or chicken stock if you find that your turkey mixture is a little dry.
- Squash -We haven’t tried this with other squash varieties, but I’m sure it would work with acorn, butternut or even spaghetti squash!
Storing/Serving Stuffed Delicata Squash
Can this recipe be made ahead? Absolutely! I actually recommend assembling the squash ahead of time. You can put everything in the delicata squash and leave it in your refrigerator until you are ready to bake. You can also bake it ahead of time and reheat when ready to eat
Can this recipe be reheated? Yes, this recipe also tastes great when reheated .. Simply reheat in a microwave or in an oven set at 350°F until center is cooked through.
These stuffed squash will last for up to 4 days in the refrigerator. We haven’t tried freezing them.
Other healthy squash recipes:
- Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Meatball Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Greek Chicken Spaghetti Squash Bake
- Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Paleo Butternut Squash Soup
- Beef Stuffed Acorn Squash
Taco Stuffed Delicata Squash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees + prepare a greased or lined cookie sheet with olive oil spray.
- Slice delicata squash longways + bake for 20 minutes, face down on the sheet
- While squash bakes, heat olive oil + pan. Sauté onions until they begin to soften (approximately 5 minutes). Add in turkey, and cook for about 10-12 minutes until browned. Stir in taco seasoning + salsa.
- Remove cooked squash from oven and stuff with turkey and onion mixture. (Optional: you can add rice or quinoa to the mixture if you'd like)
- Place back in the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Top with guacamole & salsa and enjoy!