Crockpot Potato Soup is the best cozy dinner! This Easy Crockpot Potato Soup is hearty, healthy and delicious! The ultimate slow cooker meal!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
There are not many things better than a warm, cozy bowl of soup during the fall and winter months and this potato soup just may be one of our new favorites.
We love setting the crockpot low and slow and having the smells of dinner through the whole house!
You are going to love this delicious new crockpot potato soup recipe!
Why We Love Easy Crockpot Potato Soup
There is a lot to love about this soup recipe. It’s one of our favorite healthy soup recipes because it’s:
- Perfect For An Easy Dinner – There is only 10 minutes of prep for this delicious soup. Let the crockpot do most of the work!
- Simple Clean Ingredients – So many veggies are packed into each bowl of this potato soup!
- Loaded With Flavor – This soup recipe has all of the flavor (thanks to the veggies and spices) while actually being made with good for you ingredients!
- Super Rich And Creamy (But Healthy!) – Most potato soup recipes are loaded with heavy cream and fat. This recipe does have some milk, but most of the creaminess actually comes from the potatoes!
Crock Pot Potato Soup Recipe Ingredients
This crockpot potato soup is made with pretty simple ingredients:
- olive oil
- onions, carrots, celery
- vegetable broth
- grated cheddar cheese
- garlic powder
- fresh rosemary
- salt & pepper
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
How To Make Potato Soup In Crock Pot
- In a sauté pan, heat olive oil. While oil is heating, chop veggies.
- Sauté onions, carrots, and celery until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. (This step is optional, but adds flavor)
- Add all ingredients into the crockpot, except milk.
- Set the crockpot to cook for 6 hours on high, or 8 hours on low.
- Once cooked, stir in milk and cheese. Use an immersion blender or regular blender to make the soup smooth. Serve with your favorite toppings like bacon, chives, or cheese.
Substitutions for Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup
This soup is so versatile. Here are some of the ways you can customize it!
Potatoes: Any potatoes will work in this recipe. We recommend russet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes. If you love potatoes, check out these 45+ Healthy Potato Recipes.
Peeling potatoes: You don’t have to peel the potatoes. I prefer them peeled, but if you prefer them with the skins on – keep them on!
Vegetables: You can use any additional veggies you have on hand in this recipe. More onion, carrots, and celery are always a good idea! If you like a veggie packed soup, try our Cauliflower Soup recipe. If you like leeks, try our Potato Leek Soup!
Milk: You can use any milk you’d like in this soup recipe. We like regular whole milk but you can use almond milk, light coconut milk, skim milk, whole milk, or even heavy cream will work in this recipe.
Ham: Many people enjoy ham in their potato soup. We have a Ham & Potato Soup Recipe or you can add ham to this after pureeing it.
Toppings for Potato Soup
Here are some of our favorite healthy potato soup toppings:
- Bacon – Regular or turkey bacon both work!
- Cheese- Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Pepperjack all would be great
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- Cracked Black Pepper
How to Serve This Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup
- Crackers or a big loaf of bread will also be perfect for dipping/dunking!
- Healthy Chicken Tenders
- Healthy Pulled Pork
- Crockpot Shredded Chicken
Potato Soup Recipe Crock Pot FAQs
Any potato is good for soup but russet and yukon gold potatoes are the best for soup because they thicken up nicely and are so creamy.
Yes, you can put raw potatoes in a slow cooker. They will cook in about 4-6 hours on low.
Yes you can thicken potato soup in the crockpot. Add flour or cornstarch.
Storing this Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe
Storing: This will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container
Freezing: You can freeze this recipe for up to 3 months. We like these containers for freezing – code CLEANEATING10 works to save $$ on our favorite silicone molds!
We have more tips on how to freeze soup!
How do I reheat potato soup? : When ready to eat, defrost the night before in your refrigerator or just pop in a microwave/pan and heat! If stored properly it should stay good for 4-6 months.
Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onions diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 cup celery diced
- 4 cups potatoes peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces about 1 lb or 5-6 medium-sized potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk of choice