A Healthy Green Smoothie Recipe that is so easy to make. Learn how to make the best green smoothie recipe that is delicious and good for you!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
If you need a quick and easy snack or breakfast, look no further than this delicious green smoothie!
The best green smoothies are loaded with veggies and packed with protein, but also have the natural sweetness from fruit to make them so delicious!
This simple green smoothie isn’t just healthy, it’s also so tasty and I know you are going to love it!
Why we love this Green Juice Smoothie Recipe
There are so many reasons we love this green smoothie! Here are some of the things that make it one of our favorites:
- Loaded with Veggies – Smoothies are one of the most delicious ways to get extra greens in your diet. Much tastier than a salad!
- Quick to Make – This smoothie only takes 5 minutes to make and only 5 ingredients!
- Easy to Customize – You can substitute every ingredient in this smoothie depending on your tastes and what you have available at home! (see the green box below for our recommended substitutions)
Green Smoothie Ingredients
To make this green smoothie you’ll need:
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded substitutions box.
How To Make A Green Smoothie
Smoothies are SO easy to make! Here’s how we make the best green smoothie
- Add all your ingredients to your blender.
- Blend until smooth. That’s it!
What are the best greens to use in a green smoothie?
The best greens to use in a green smoothie are spinach. Spinach is soft and has a mild taste which means it blends well and you can add a lot without getting that ‘greens’ taste.
Kale is a good option for green smoothies as well.
We don’t recommend using arugula or spring mix as they can have a bitter taste and overtake your smoothie.
Substitutions & Add-Ins for the Best Green Smoothie
Spinach: You can substitute spinach with kale. You can use fresh or frozen spinach.
Almond Milk: Any milk can be used in a smoothie. Almond milk, dairy milk, coconut milk, or other non dairy milks will all work. You can also use water in place of almond milk, but it wouldn’t be as creamy.
Frozen Fruit: Any fruit will go well in this recipe. My favorite fruits are frozen mango or frozen pineapple, but berries will also work. You can also use fresh fruit in place of frozen fruit but it will result in a thinner smoothie.
Yogurt– Nonfat greek yogurt is a great way to add protein and richness to smoothies for a low amount of calories. You can substitute with dairy free yogurt or full fat yogurt. You can also skip the yogurt entirely, but it won’t be as creamy.
Protein Powder– It isn’t necessary but is recommended for this recipe. The added protein will help keep you full, rather than this just being blended fruit (sugar and carbs). Any brand will work. We like this protein powder best.
Weight Watchers: The points for this recipe vary on weight watchers. Enter the recipe into your app for the most accurate points.
How do you thicken smoothies?
There are a few ways to thicken a smoothie. Make sure to use frozen fruit and cold ingredients. Ingredients like yogurt can also help to thicken a smoothie.
If your green smoothie comes out thin you might have added too much liquid. You can add more frozen fruit to make it thicker.
Adding protein powder can also help thicken a smoothie.
Best Green Smoothie Recipe Tips
Making a green smoothie is pretty foolproof, but here are some of our best tips:
- Don’t add more than 2 cups of greens per smoothie. Anything more can start to taste strongly of greens
- Use spinach instead of kale. Spinach blends easier and has a more mild flavor than kale, making it the best option for green smoothies!
- Add in protein- If you’re only blending fruits and veggies, you won’t stay full for long. I like to add protein powder and nonfat greek yogurt to my smoothies to keep me fuller for longer.
Can green smoothie recipes be made ahead?
Green smoothies don’t keep very well. You can store it in the refrigerator for about an hour, but after that the smoothie will start to separate.
If you are wanting to meal prep, you could also store the non-liquid ingredients in a bag (like Stasher Bags or ZipTop Bags) and freeze. Then when you are ready to make a green smoothie, dump them in your blender with the liquid ingredients and blend.
Green Smoothie Recipe FAQ
Green smoothies are definitely a great source of nutrients and can be a great addition to a well-rounded diet! If you have any concerns, please check with your doctor!
Smoothies can be enjoyed throughout the day! They can give you an extra boost in the morning to help get your day started with fruits and vegetables or they are great to enjoy to get more protein after a workout.
No, you can’t taste spinach in a smoothie. Spinach is very mild, and it’s nearly impossible to taste it in a smoothie!
You don’t have to put ice cubes in a smoothie. Adding ice to a smoothie can make it a slushie like texture. I prefer not to add ice to my smoothies because I prefer a creamy texture, but you could if you prefer.
Best Blender for a Healthy Green Smoothie
Any high speed blender will work for smoothies.
We also love our Vitamix, but it’s much more expensive. Here’s a link to the one we have.
Green Smoothie Benefits:
There are many benefits to enjoying a green smoothie. Here are some of the green smoothie benefits:
- Extra veggies – It’s always tough to get in enough veggies, green smoothies are a great way to sneak in extra vegetables and nutrition!
- Can keep you full – Adding greens to your smoothies help you stay fuller for longer.
- Easy way to get in extra nutrients – If you struggle with taking the time to cook, making a smoothie is a very simple way to get in extra nutrients. Whether it’s vegetables, fruit, or healthy fats- a smoothie is a simple to digest, easy way to get in extra nutrition!
Green Smoothie Recipe
- In a blender add all ingredients.
- Blend until smooth + enjoy!