The Best Chickpea Salad Recipe! This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad comes together in less than 20 minutes for an easy, delicious side dish!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
In the warmer Spring and Summer months, there’s nothing better than a giant salad with ALL the veggies.. but let’s be real, salad can be boring and flavorless!
This chickpea Mediterranean salad is so flavorful and perfect for all the summer potlucks or just family dinners!
This Cucumber Chickpea Salad is so fresh!
Why you’ll love this Chickpea Mediterranean Salad
This is one of our favorite quick and easy side dishes for the summer time. Here’s why we love it:
- Veggie Loaded: Between the cucumbers and tomatoes – this salad is loaded with vegetables.
- Healthy & Flavorful: This recipe is loaded with healthy fats, veggies, and seasoning to make it a delicious side for any recipe!
- So Quick & Easy: It’s the perfect side dish when you need a flavorful side dish very fast! It only takes 15 minutes and most of that is just prepping the ingredients.
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad Ingredients
To make this salad, you’ll need:
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, salt, pepper, fresh parsley
- crumbled feta
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
Can you substitute chickpeas for garbanzo beans?
Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing!
How to make Chickpea Salad
- Prep all ingredients.
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until combined.
That’s it! So simple!
SUBSTITUTIONS FOR CHICKPEA SALAD
Cherry Tomatoes: You can use finely chopped tomatoes or plum tomatoes. Regular tomatoes might result in a mushy salad. We recommend using cherry tomatoes.
Cucumbers: We haven’t made this recipe without cucumber but I think it would work.
Chickpeas: I haven’t tried this with any other canned bean, but I think cannellini beans would work well!
Feta: You can substitute feta with goat cheese or omit the cheese to make this dairy free/vegan.
Lemon Juice: Helps to add flavor. Do not use jarred lemon juice or the one in the bottle because it will not taste the same!
Herbs: If you don’t have fresh parsley, substitute with 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley. Fresh herbs are delicious in this recipe though!
You can also use store bought Greek Salad Dressing or Homemade Greek Dressing Recipe and use it on the veggies/olive mixture
How to serve Chickpea Cucumber Salad
This Chickpea Salad goes with pretty much anything! It’s perfect for a BBQ side dish or for meal prepping. Here are some of my favorite thing to serve this with:
- Grilled Chicken Thighs (pictured below)
- Greek Chicken Kabobs Recipe
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Garlic Lime Flank Steak
- Pineapple Grilled Chicken
- Healthy Pulled Pork Crock Pot
Storing this Chickpea Salad Recipe
Storing: This will last in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in an airtight container. This salad is best enjoyed right after preparing it because the longer it sits, the more liquid it will have in it
Freezing: You can’t freeze this recipe. It’s best enjoyed fresh.
Greek Chickpea Salad FAQs
Canned chickpeas are fully cooked straight from the can, but we prefer to drain and rinse before eating.
They have both carbs and protein!
They are the same thing!
Chickpeas are a staple in the Mediterranean diet! They are protein packed and fiber rich!
They can be a healthy part of a balanced diet! Sometimes they can be high in sodium, but you can try to find a low salt option and/or be sure to rinse the beans before enjoying them.
Greek Chickpea Salad
- ¼ cup red onion minced
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes quartered- 1 pint
- 1.5 cups cucumbers quartered
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice juice of half a lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- Prep onions, tomatoes and cucumbers.
- Drain and rinse canned chickpeas.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients together until combined.
- Serve cold with your favorite protein or on its own!