Learn how to make Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas! The best easy slow cooker chicken fajita recipe that everyone will love. Healthy and delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Click here to read my policy and about affiliate links.
If you’ve never had fajitas before, they are basically just tacos’ veggie packed cousin. They are loaded with delicious bell peppers and onions and are so versatile.
These easy crockpot chicken fajitas take only 10 minutes of prep and 8 ingredients for a protein and veggie packed dinner that your family will love!
Why we love Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
There is a lot to love about this recipe. It’s one of our favorite healthy dinners because it’s:
- Great for meal prep – These slow cooker chicken fajitas last 5 days in the fridge, so it is perfect for healthy meal prep!
- Easy to make – This is such an easy recipe because you just layer the ingredients in your slow cooker, shred the chicken once cooked, and enjoy! If you want more one pot meals, check out these 60+ Healthy One Pot Meals!
- Simple Ingredients – You probably already have almost everything you need to make these slow cooker fajitas!
What you’ll need for Crockpot Fajitas
To make crock pot fajitas you’ll need:
- chicken breasts
- red, yellow, and green bell pepper
- taco seasoning
- fresh lime
You can find substitutions for all of these ingredients below in the green shaded box.
Crock Pot Chicken Fajitas substitutions
Rotel: You can substitute Rotel for canned tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chiles.
Bell peppers: Any color of bell peppers will work in this recipe.
Taco Seasoning: We use homemade taco seasoning. It’s way lower in sodium than the packaged kind.
WW Points: Will vary depending on the plan you follow. This is a very low/no point recipe. Olive oil will be the only high point ingredient. I’d estimate 1 point per serving.
How to make Crockpot Chicken Fajitas
- Mix Rotel, honey, and garlic in a slow cooker. Place onion and bell peppers on top. Layer chicken on top and coat with seasoning.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or cook on high for 4 hours. Remove chicken and shred and mix chicken back in the bell peppers onion and Rotel mixture.
- Serve warm on tortillas or by itself with limes!
Chicken Fajitas Crockpot variations
You can also make crockpot chicken fajitas in an oven. Place in a baking dish cooked at 400 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until the chicken’s internal temperature reaches 165 degrees and the bell peppers are soft.
We also have a Stovetop Chicken Fajita recipe.
How to serve Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
Crockpot chicken fajita is best served warm and is a complete meal on its own.
What is traditionally served with fajitas?
Here are some of our favorite things to serve with them:
- Avocado Ranch Salad if you’re looking for extra veggies
- Healthy Easy Bean Dip
- The Best Skinny Margarita Recipe
- Healthy Strawberry Mojito
- Alongside rice & beans
- In a tortilla with any of the above mentioned toppings!
Toppings for Crockpot Fajitas
Here are some of our favorite toppings for chicken fajitas:
- sour cream
- pineapple mango salsa or corn salsa
- more cheese
- Mexican rice
- tortilla chips
- black beans
Crock Pot Fajitas storage
Freezing: You can freeze this recipe in a freezer for up to 6 months. Thaw completely before reheating and serving.
We like these containers for freezing !
Reheating: You can reheat this recipe in the microwave, toaster oven, oven, or on the stove.
Can I make this ahead of time and freeze it? Yes, you can make slow cooker chicken fajitas ahead of time and freeze them for up to 6 months after initially cooking them. Thaw completely in a refrigerator before re-heating and serving.
Chicken Fajitas Crockpot FAQs
No, you can’t use frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot. This is a major food safety issue. If chicken is not entirely thawed it may not cook thoroughly. If you want to use frozen chicken to make shredded chicken, we love instant pot shredded chicken.
Chicken fajitas are done when the internal temperature of the fajitas has reached 165 degrees.
The best way to ensure your fajitas are tender is to pound the chicken before you cook it. This helps your chicken fajitas stay nice and tender!
Chicken is a commonly used meat for fajitas. You can also make beef or Shimp Fajitas.
Bell peppers are best cut into strips when being cooked for fajitas.
We like to dice our onions for fajitas. Some people enjoy them cut in strips like the bell peppers in this recipe.
Other healthy dinner recipes:
Looking for other easy meals? Check out these 40+ Healthy Dinner Recipes. Click here to grab our free healthy 30 minute dinners cookbook.
Chicken Fajitas (Crockpot Recipe)
- In a 6-8 quart crockpot, mix Rotel, honey, and garlic.
- Place onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, and green pepper into the crockpot over the Rotel mixture.
- Layer chicken over peppers and coat with taco seasoning.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. The chicken’s internal temperature should be at least 165 degrees and easy to break apart.
- Using forks or a shredding tool, shred the chicken and mix with peppers and Rotel mixture.
- Serve warm on soft tortillas or by itself with limes for fresh lime juice.